Pirates of the Caribbean JJP Rulesheet (WIP)

Well we’ve been streaming it. Current shipping code is 0.9, guessing that was like a month ago. Games with 3 discs haven’t been able to be updated for a long time so their code is much much older.

Hey Colin. I do not know what version it was running. Obviously there are many, many ways to play this game. I was just offering a simple strat for someone walking up to the game for the first time. I was extremely impressed with how well JJP POTC shoots. The shots felt very good and the game is very immersive. This being a sample/prototype game, it was not without it’s problems. Lots of ball hangs on the ship and also in the scoop that feeds to the left flipper. During the finals the game had to be removed from the tourney.

If most/all of this is worked out in the production games I might be up for my 1st JJP game. It’s that good!

1 Like

Agreed on both fronts here. There’s a good forehand/backhand shot diversity and the game encourages multiple strategies. Can’t wait to hit it up this Thursday (hella love to Helicon) and pull a deep dive on it!

Not sure if this is a setting, but never let a player be added after you’re past ball one. Now we have an extra player playing all three balls after we’re done because we leaned on the start button mid game. Haha

I’ve lately been contemplating the best time to turn off adding players. Lots of people seem to enjoy being able to add during the equivalent of ball 2. I’m thinking of stopping allowing adds as soon as someone hits LAST BALL.

Don’t know if this is still active in tournament mode but playing before league someone was awarded Plunder 1 Ball which I found hilarious! Tournament implications?

I think the new setting for the order of when you play extra balls is great. This adding new players rule, not so much. Or at least make it so you have to hold the start button or something.

Pirates is pretty sweet btw.

It’s not totally fleshed out yet, but I believe it’s MOSTLY taken care of in tournament mode when I originally wrote it.

There are a couple of adjustments that control how plundering works. One is Plunder Level which controls how often plundering can occur (about 0%-80%), and the other is Plunder Items which controls what can be stolen. Possibilities to steal are, in order and inclusively from the first: gold, points, treasure, player character, and balls.

Personally, I feel that some amount of plundering is fine in tournament mode as long as it’s fair. Assuming I did my job correctly, plundering a ball would be like the 15th plunder possibility which is quite a lot of awards, assuming the game was set to allow that.

I have to reserve holding the button for restarting the game. On the plus side, on our games, you can restart on ball one now.

Appreciate it!

2 Likes

What’s the reasoning for not letting two players choose the same character? Does that change in tournament settings?

To force you to have other ways of playing the game to be successful. Yes, in tournament mode you are still restricted to not picking the same character, so you have another reason to decide if you want to go last or not.

Also, when you plunder someone else’s character, yours is retired from the rest of the game permanently. Further, if someone plunders your character and you have no balls left, you can’t match. :smiley:

AND, if you play more than 1 character for any reason, you are ineligible for a character high score.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!

Amazing depth. This seems like it would be a great “desert island” game… :grin:

Really struck a happy medium between playability and depth here. You can TL;DR most major features in 15 seconds or less to great effect, but the depth of the game is such that there’s PhD levels of ruleset study and discussion (“Who ARE the best characters, anyways?”).

Bravo, @keefer and Co!

2 Likes

@keefer lighting bug report
When you get a ball save from mystery, the playfield light comes on before the screen animation finishes.

Started Tortuga during Dead Men Tell No Tales Wizard Mode. Didn’t think it’d be possible to stack a multiball with a wizard mode, was very surprised. Nearly impossible to finish that one while in multiball.

The other bit…Had zero tilt warnings remaining, played Liar’s Dice and wagered a tilt warning. I lost, thus I tilted! :rofl:

15 Likes

Yeah that’s a bug, thanks.

You’re the first person I’m aware of that had that happen to them for real!

10 Likes

@keefer, I think I’m sensing black magic with the map…

For awards that correlate with the PIRATE awards (# bonus X, # gold, etc), are the Map awards based off of your current pirate level?

I was seeing some extra special bonus X advances and collected 50 gold from the map when the PIRATE value was at 50. Thanks!

No it’s all (weighted) random. Interesting idea, though. Some of the Tortuga stuff can be related to PIRATE levels, like Super X stuff.

Who knows how to get the super X to 3x, 4x,…

2nd time activating Super X 2x/3x will be available. 3rd time 2x/3x/4x. Etc…

1 Like