We had a large pingolf event here in Colorado last weekend (75 players and 18+ machines), and I thought it might be helpful to have an ongoing thread that discussed appropriate pingolf goals.
The conditions for any event are different from any other, but we had a wide mix of players (from 8th in the world, all the way down to a half dozen for whom this was their first event). We had 24 games that were brought in by 20ish different players, with no coordinated standards for setup (in terms of difficulty, etc).
I wrote down notes for each game with proposed goals, and then had some last minute input from three other very good players.
Below I’ll list the goals I used (followed by their average strokes). In some cases, the goal was a target score. In other cases, the goal was an objective. Some games had both a target score, and an objective…in which case either one counted as a success. All games were set on 5 ball. If you weren’t able to reach a goal, then you took a 6. My intention was for the holes to average roughly three strokes each.
- Iron Man: Start any MB. 2.46 strokes. (MBs might not have been factory. 3 shots to raise monger. 7 or 8 for Whiplash. 9ish Drones for War Machine)
- X-Men: Start Villain Mode, or 6m points. 2.55 strokes.
- The Shadow: Start any MB. 2.59 strokes. (Mistake here: didn’t realize there was a mode that gave a MB, so it could be done in 1 shot).
- Swords of Fury: Collect Lionman Bonus, or 650k points. 2.65 strokes.
- Spider-man (Stern): Start Blacksuit MB, or 20m points. 2.92 strokes.
- Taxi: 500k points. 2.93 strokes. (Was playing tough, hard to hit ramps, drops not always registering consistently).
- Strikes 'N Spares. Un-spell S-P-A-R-E. 2.99 strokes.
- Diner: 1.5m points. 3.18 strokes.
- Supersonic: Light 5x bonus, or 100k points. 3.18 strokes.
- Star Wars LE: Start any MB or 100m points. 3.30 strokes.
- Doodle Bug: Collect Extra Ball or 20k points. 3.31 strokes.
- Kiss (Bally): 85k points. 3.55 strokes. (Was very floaty).
- Transformers: Start Optimus Prime MB. 3.61 strokes.
- Eight Ball Champ: Un-spell C-H-A-M-P. 3.76 strokes.
- Mousin’ Around: 1m points. 3.82 strokes.
- AC/DC Premium: Start any MB, or 15m points. 3.89 strokes.
- World Cup Soccer: Lock a Ball. 4.09 strokes. (Didn’t realize it was set to require one extra Build shot. Right ramp was hard to make it all the way up.)
- Jungle Queen: 35k points. 4.46 strokes. (My gut after playing it was 25k but I let others talk me up).
Make goals that you think are too easy…something that can be done in 5 to 6 shots.
Rely on one trusted goal setter as much as possible (the places where I’ve gone wrong in the past is taking blind advice from others, without knowing the game well or having played it, or having machines split up and their goals set separately by different people).
(Almost) never trust the owner of the game to give you a fair goal. Remember that most people will be stepping up to this game for the first time, and either have no general idea how to play it, or no idea how to play this specific copy of the game.
Stay away from goals where the progress isn’t cumulative. Un-spelling C-H-A-M-P on Eight Ball Champ was a bad idea, because if you failed on Ball 1, you started over from scratch on Ball 2 (which I didn’t realize). Many EMs do not carry progress, which means it’s better to come up with a target score. Otherwise, it becomes a game of: “which ball did you get a hole in one on?”
I repeat: Make goals easy. I’ve never been to a pingolf event where the holes were set too easy.
Hope this is helpful to others. Would love to see what others have done for goals in their events.