Pinburgh Constructive Feedback Thread (I hope I don't regret this)

It just occurred to me that Bowen should do vo for BAD playing!

You know, like how filmmakers can learn a lot from watching bad movies?

2 Likes

Unless the footage was volunteered that could be construed as insulting (e.g. “wow look how bad this player is!”). Not that I wouldn’t gladly put up footage to get picked apart by the Bowen Breakdown (if I had any :pensive: )

1 Like

We’re in the same boat buddy.

People can nominate whatever video they want… :slight_smile:

Wanted to make a comment on live stream commentary… Someone mentioned above about the audience being able to hear the broadcast commentary. I can’t think of any sporting event where the audience or participants hear broadcast commentary live. A lot of strategy is discussed on the stream. And it would also be very distracting to the players I would think. A video feed of the stream would be cool… But no on audio.

-Steve

1 Like

I am highly appreciative of PAPA TV as has been so far. And actually, I cherish a decision to only broadcast at a certain production level. Generally speaking.

But I would like to drop a cent from an international (well, Euro) audience point of view. I recommend, that PAPA and Pinburgh finals are broadcast from first stroke on. First, it will allow Euro viewers to watch some of the competition live in the early/late evening. And second, a better chance of watching some Euro players in action. People you might know personally. Or you could say that generally, the early rounds will show a broader palette of players.

I guess personally I don’t care too much about extra coverage because I’m there playing in person. However, if my group happened to be covered by the stream during a random qualifying round, I could have easily had dozens of people tuning in to watch live.

I’d post that section of the video to Facebook, Twitter, and other places, and by now it would have been easily seen by over a hundred people…people who weren’t going to watch any part of the stream otherwise.

Multiply that by 10 rounds, by however many people you can show during a round, and that’s a pretty good opportunity to introduce thousands of new folks to competitive pinball.

No need to feature the usual suspects, they’ll get their time in the spotlight during finals. Just show random groups.

(I don’t have a good solution for commentary because I know it is difficult to do well. It’s not feasible to have remote commentary, is it? Good players who weren’t able to attend and/or are living outside the US and thus probably not at work during the rounds?)

Re: keeping people out of the tournament area…

I would have made this same complaint had I not just run a tournament at a show back in June. My bank of games was only 14, and it was in a separate room, and yet this was literally almost a full time job to prevent.

It only took a few hours before I had built a wall using tables and chairs, printed signs in stands to put on those tables, and taped signs to the chairs. Non-tournament players would shimmy through the smallest of gaps, ignore signs, step over chairs, and physically lift tables out of their way. It was never-ending.

I’m not saying that attempting to prevent this isn’t a noble pursuit, but it’s impossible to stop entirely.

Edit: I’ll clarify that I’m talking exclusively about keeping non-participants off of the machines in the tournament area.

3 Likes

It might be an extreme measure, but an offending player who invades a defined “peripheral zone” could be DQ’d or penalized with negative points or something. This does seem too extreme now that I re-read it. Honestly, I think if you are distracted as a player and no one is physically interfering, it is on you.
Either way, a clarifying statement on this topic will make for even more successful events in the future where even more new players will participate in a manner similar to their weekly league play (or what have you) at their local arcade/barcade…

1 Like

Just know that this takes more volunteers and more work. The broadcast is a 4-person job. It’s difficult to get that many people to commit to hours. Doubling or tripling that load is possible, but it is a lot of work.

1 Like

Would it be possible to schedule this before or after a big event where the gear is located?

Oh sorry, I was only referring to people who weren’t participating in the tournament at all.

I don’t think we should be spending effort/rulings on keeping people out of a “peripheral zone”. When you play pinball, even in high level tournaments, there are going to be people playing other machines immediately adjacent to you. Just inches away, in many cases. If that’s too distracting, well then tough luck I guess.

3 Likes

Oh yes. As well explained already. Just felt like sharing a point of view. Thanks for the effort.

1 Like

If by “it” you mean a filming session, especially with out-of-town players, it’s a difficult proposition. The reason it’s so difficult is that this is the exact time PAPA/ReplayFX staff is stretched furthest to the limit. I would say the staff is more busy in the days immediately before PAPA/ReplayFX than they are during it. And immediately after the event, people are either tearing down and moving things for a huge amount of time, or just trying to sleep it off.

I’m not saying this is impossible, but it’s really something that would require a completely independent group of people volunteering their time and energy.

1 Like

does the Twitch’s YouTube exporter not work for you?

You’ll get lower quality that way. Best quality comes from the local recording.

3 Likes