Pinburgh Constructive Feedback Thread (I hope I don't regret this)

But we used to record and save footage, and voice over commentary after the fact, but since we do live broadcasts, we no longer record and save footage for the purpose of after the fact voice-over. Why not just record some of the other rounds (even earlier playoff rounds)? If what is needed is an external hard drive, I have anything from 500gb to 2tb I can donate something.

1 Like

We also had to wait for adjacent groups to record scores to get out of our groupā€™s playersā€™ way. Not sure about lines, but some better guidance would help.

1 Like

I canā€™t speak for PAPA/Replay, but I recall one difficulty being the time-consuming offload of the camera data. Every camera, every day, huge data (because itā€™s all 1080p, all day). Then, almost all of it was junked. And what do you do with that footage? Without some commentary itā€™s very dry and wonā€™t be usable to upload to PAPAā€™s YouTube channel except perhaps as gameplay videos (and those generally exist already). Recording commentary after the fact turns out to be extremely time-consuming.

Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be done, but the bang/$ ratio is low.

Iā€™d ask Replay whether this is a potential project for others. Or wait for @PAPA_Doug or @mhs to hop in with advice :slight_smile:

All that doodlebug footage wasted :wink:

I know that watching the semis game on Paragon there was a lot of technique and strategy stuff going on that I would have loved to do an after-the-fact commentary on. I may still do it by chopping it out of the Youtube, but Iā€™d rather do it on the raw footage.

That said, storing all that video from all the cameras just on the off chance someone might want it is an incredible burden and I donā€™t blame anyone for not doing it.

are they recording straight into the camera video cards? I doubt they are recording all feed simultaneously into their computers right?

Well right now it is apparently not being recorded at all. But previously yes I believe they were bring recorded straight onto the cameras.

Maybe another Kickstarter? Make pinball video un-live commentary great again?

some good after the fact editing and comments to make finals a ā€œdecentā€ length is the only way to attract non-pinball fanaticsā€¦

2 Likes

I would love PAPA to have another kickstarter or some sort of gofundme for this. I donā€™t even give a rip about reward tiers. As long as the video footage is completed with thoughtful commentary then I consider that the reward.

I sent these privately before, but Iā€™ll put them here since this thread started.

1. Bowen needs to go all Bruce Buffer and wear a Tux. Possibly the players enter with a smoke machine goingā€¦ Just sayingā€¦ :wink:

2. I agree no one wants to watch a stream without commentary EXCEPT if they are the ones playing. Iā€™d love to have a machine setup to stream or archive so that every player got to watch themselves play a game on camera. Maybe have a machine setup in the Galactic tourney for that purpose if itā€™s too hard to do it in the regular banks?

Again, best experience ever. All suggestions are marginal improvements over a great overall event.

1 Like

A simple Pinburgh smart phone app that organizes all of the information found on the website would be a great way to track progress, banks, rounds, etc. I canā€™t tell you how many times I would accidentally close out of my browser window or accidentally open someone elseā€™s information because the links are tiny on a phone browser. I used the website constantly and would certainly find an app useful. Of course, we are talking about a 4 day event, so maybe just making the Pinburgh site more mobile friendly is a better idea.

1 Like

I made an icon on my home screen for my page on day one. Really simple to do on iOS, Iā€™d imagine android has some similar option. Or thereā€™s always just making a bookmark.

Whoa! I didnā€™t know you could do this- I have an iPhone, Iā€™ll have to try this! Thanks.

I was someone who got heated over someone being in my personal space bubble standing on the side of the machine recording a score while I was playing the next machine over. Thatā€™s on me, my fault.

With that said, if people want to be voluntarily more cognizant of where they are standing while writing down scores, I wouldnā€™t complain.

Itā€™s so weird to me - I play in so many location tournaments with the machines right next to each other where I just accept thereā€™s going to be people nearby, but that seems to change for pinburgh b/c part of my brain thinks ā€œthereā€™s plenty of room, so please donā€™t stand thereā€

Again, my fault for being heated, full stop.

2 Likes

In Safari on iOS You just hit the ā€œshareā€ icon (rectangle with an arrow pointing up) and in the menu that comes up, add to home screen is one of the options.

1 Like

Difference of opinion here: I think that the Pinburgh mobile site was extremely friendly & useful with a focus on providing content quickly. Nothing fancyā€¦ just exactly what you need.

Using the existing site, I was able to quickly update and click through multiple hyperlinks from different pages (player page, game bank page, etc) to be able to find player/bank information for not one, but three players for each round. Besides my own info, I was doing so for my two boys, ages 8 & 10.

I kept a separate page/tab of iOS Safari browser for each of us. Anytime the banks got published at the beginning of a new round, I hit refresh on each of them. And on each of them, I could tap on the hyperlink for the bank name, which would immediately take me to the list of 4 pins for that bank, so that I could explain 1-2 important shots for each pin to my sons while we walked to their banks. In my opinion, it was simple and intuitive, and because the focus was on content and no graphics (other than your player rank history chart), the page loads were VERY fast.

If you find the links (whether list of players or list of banks) too small to tap accurately, then simply zoom in prior to tapping on a link.

I wouldnā€™t change a thing. And the player rank history charts were a nice new addition.

Well, one of the backer rewards is one voice-over video per month. I donā€™t think this is the scale @PinballNarcissist is talking about. But maybe we can figure something out for a goal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only listened to one voice over because Iā€™m a bad patreon, but I really liked the one I listened to! I think itā€™s a fantastic cost effective middle ground between game play videos and full tutorials.