Pinburgh 2018 sob stories

I was playing Indianapolis 500 in my 10th bank on Friday night…and tilted video mode! :thinking:

10 Likes

Avoid Deb(ounce)ris

4 Likes

I learned the hard way that when playing an EM you really shouldn’t nudge too much. Specifically was playing Volley with none other than Jack Danger in my group and I got to go first. Proceeded to put up 690 points and tilted it trying to save a ball I had no business trying to save.

Learning the tough lessons at my first Pinburgh! :slight_smile:

I was playing I500 with my Avoid Debris shirt on and pulled a zero on it lol. When I put it on in the morning I figured it would be a bad omen if I ended up playing it but what are the odds right?!

7 Likes

To make your sob story worse, Volley was pulled in C finals due to every players 1-3 tilting through. There was an issue somewhere, for sure.

1 Like

Volley is a single player EM. You can’t tilt through to another player…

5 Likes

Indeed it is…and I’m not convinced there was anything wrong with the machine. I think I was just too aggressive with it. Totally learned my lesson, as did each player after me :wink:

Sorry, you are correct. I meant the tiled ended the game. And we all agreed it was totally the correct ruling.

1 Like

It was only pulled for one round, we adjusted the game and put it right back in. No other issues with it after that.

3 Likes

Arenowdev, you are likely correct - there was nothing wrong when you played it. I think when I moved it to C Division Finals bank, the tilt bob got way out of plumb and was learning hard to the left.

4 Likes

The way I heard it player one had played their whole game and put up 50k+, then the next two players tilted ball 1.

FYI, the number of no-shows in Division E was 4 out of 167, the same number as the number of no-shows in Division D.

9 Likes

It real.

The conversation was about day 2… not finals

You are wrong. You replied to @jeffpm who was asking about no-shows for the Division C final.
Further back in the chain players clearly refer to Saturday.

To answer Jeff’s question, all 40 C finalists checked in Saturday morning.

1 Like

I’m saving most of my feedback for the official Pinburgh survey, but here are the highlights.

I concur with everyone else in saying that the techs and TDs were excellent. I never had to wait more than a minute to get a response. Everyone was extremely courteous and professional.

The one change I hope for next year is the D Division IFPA ranking restriction. Although I had a craptastic Day 1, it did not seem fair that players who played worse than me but had higher rankings were eligible to compete for D Division trophies/money. Without money or prizes beyond a medal, I can’t image that sand-bagging would be an issue for E Division.

1 Like

It seems that you’re saying that the D division should have been restricted to players who are ranked no better than you.

I think A-C restrictions should be higher. Hell, close to 200 people make A division day 2. I think the top 100-150 in ifpa should be restricted to A, 250 to B and 500 to C. I think 1500 for D is fair.

I still don’t see why the divisions aren’t just chosen up front, PAPA-style :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you do that, then 150 (assuming all of the top 150 IFPA ranked players show up) of the 168 qualifiers for A on Friday are already set. This only leaves 18 spots for someone to play into Division A.

5 Likes