Pinburgh 2018 sob stories

What is the best method to inform the desk if one cannot be there Friday? “Phone a friend” is unreliable, and it seems there aren’t really check-ins Fri AM so simply not showing up leads to bad groups. Is there anyone to contact if a person cannot physically go to the desk at 9:30?

There are no check-ins on Friday, informing the desk is the only way.

You kinda have to go to the desk. Otherwise a scenario could arise where Play 1 doesn’t like Player 2 and maliciously tells us “Oh, Player 2 isn’t coming,” we take them out when we shouldn’t have, and everything goes kaflooey. On the other hand, players who miss two rounds will be removed, so it only inconveniences things for a little while.

3 Likes

Or the easiest option, just don’t quit Pinburgh!

4 Likes

With that many people competing, it seems like it would be inevitable that someone might have to leave in a hurry due to illness, a family member getting in a car accident, or their house in Cal catches on fire (that’s been happening a lot lately). Life gets in the way of pinball occasionally.

It doesn’t sound like that was the case this year, but expecting 100% attendance every day every year doesn’t seem realistic. Good to hear people leaving is expected/ planned for. Shit happens.

2 Likes

I got to play with KME, Belsito and CDS in Round 9! Ouch!

Link to Awesome story

3 Likes

I’m close with the 12-0 person from this round and he’s not on this forum, but I shared the discussion with him and he told me to say his opponent “got screwed” by the two player group and he feels bad about it. He still got a perfect round medal but he calls it his “double asterisk” medal.

I was playing Indianapolis 500 in my 10th bank on Friday night…and tilted video mode! :thinking:

10 Likes

Avoid Deb(ounce)ris

4 Likes

I learned the hard way that when playing an EM you really shouldn’t nudge too much. Specifically was playing Volley with none other than Jack Danger in my group and I got to go first. Proceeded to put up 690 points and tilted it trying to save a ball I had no business trying to save.

Learning the tough lessons at my first Pinburgh! :slight_smile:

I was playing I500 with my Avoid Debris shirt on and pulled a zero on it lol. When I put it on in the morning I figured it would be a bad omen if I ended up playing it but what are the odds right?!

7 Likes

To make your sob story worse, Volley was pulled in C finals due to every players 1-3 tilting through. There was an issue somewhere, for sure.

1 Like

Volley is a single player EM. You can’t tilt through to another player…

5 Likes

Indeed it is…and I’m not convinced there was anything wrong with the machine. I think I was just too aggressive with it. Totally learned my lesson, as did each player after me :wink:

Sorry, you are correct. I meant the tiled ended the game. And we all agreed it was totally the correct ruling.

1 Like

It was only pulled for one round, we adjusted the game and put it right back in. No other issues with it after that.

3 Likes

Arenowdev, you are likely correct - there was nothing wrong when you played it. I think when I moved it to C Division Finals bank, the tilt bob got way out of plumb and was learning hard to the left.

4 Likes

The way I heard it player one had played their whole game and put up 50k+, then the next two players tilted ball 1.

FYI, the number of no-shows in Division E was 4 out of 167, the same number as the number of no-shows in Division D.

9 Likes

It real.