Pinball survey email from L.E.K.

I can rule that out, as I got the email also but I don’t have a Pinside account.

Not IFPA related … at least that I’m aware of. I didn’t receive the email myself.

I got it too. Change up the ‘individualized’ survey by altering a letter or two in the URL. (Assuming you’d rather not give them any info.)
They ask age, sex, income level, zip code, children in house.
How often have you visited each of the following types of establishments in the last year?
Mini golf course, Golf driving range, Go karting track, Bar / Restaurant with a selection of games / arcade machines (e.g., pool / billiards, pinball), Billiard / pool room, Paintballing / airsoft park, Videogame Arcade, Bowling Alley, Indoor skydiving, Amusement / waterpark, Movie theater, Laser tag arena, Trampoline park, Indoor rock climbing, Ice / rolling skating rink, Family Entertainment Center (e.g., Dave & Buster’s, Chuck E Cheese, Main Event)

Please rate each of the following games / activities based on their level of appeal to you, regardless of whether or not you have actively participated / played in the past.

On how many occasions did you actually participate in the following activities / play the following games in the last year?

Which of the following games have you ever owned or do you currently have in your home?

When is the last time you purchased a pinball machine for your home?

That’s about 25% of the questions. Sounds like burglars figuring out where to rob to me.

1 Like

Just got it as well in junk folder. Some list somewhere got nabbed.

Whatever it is, I’m deeply suspicious of a survey claiming to pay me $15 from a company I’ve never heard of and that GMail immediately lands in my Spam folder.

2 Likes

Also had it sent straight to my Spam folder.

Can anyone that uses site-specific email addresses identify the source? @Wizcat, @ericwag, @joe? (Tagging you based on your comments made in the Jersey Jack Marketing Emails thread.)

2 Likes

Pinball spam? We’ve finally made the big time!!!

1 Like

“Every pinball needs a family, and every family needs a pinball.”

My wife got it too. If it’s a pinball specific list that was sold it probably was TPF.
Edit: Other surveys from LEK have been about hotel chains. Could have been one or more of them that provided a list from users who got a room from a block designated for a pinball event.

David Li is for real; he responded to my question with a link to his LinkedIn page. Just to be safe, I logged in and searched for him independently and got the to same page as showed in his link. He’s actually in the LA office of LEK. Said it’s a market research survey on coin-op arcade games looking for users’ point of view.

1 Like

I got it, and never had anything to do with tpf.

I just cross-referenced Matt’s previous events and mine, and the only commonalities were prior year’s Pinburghs and last year’s Intergalactic. That leaves IFPA and PAPA as the only two sources he and I would have in common. Who slipped up?

1 Like

Yep, can confirm I got it at the unique email address I used for ifpa

Sorry Josh. This is what happens when you hand out your email list to third parties. We’ve no idea which third party has now been hacked or further handed out these email addresses now.

As mentioned the last time we all got spammed, would be better if sponsors contacted you when they wanted to send spam. Then you send the email on behalf of the sponsor. I suppose it’s closing the door once the horse has bolted now however…

3 Likes

What were some of the games mentioned JOOC?

I got it in my gmail spam with no identifying markers (but I haven’t been extremely good about using them).

I’m not aware of us doing anything like this, so I don’t THINK it’s us, but I don’t know 100% tbh.

I auto-deleted the email when I saw it. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

1 Like

I received this mail to an address that I use exclusively for IFPA. This means that either IFPA sold their address list to this survey company, or this survey company acquired an address list from a company that already had access to the IFPA player database. Either way, yuck.

2 Likes

Pinball, ping pong, pool table. I didn’t go further in the survey, it may eventually get around to asking about specific titles. Script running to try and prevent copying text from the screen so rather laborious extracting it.
My link is https://s1.intellisurvey.com/run/kel0828237136/XPDDJMQ3PGE3?pan=99&f=1
but the survey ran with a couple letters changed and info that doesn’t match me so either their tracking controls aren’t very robust or they’re using other methodology to filter results.

They aren’t a sponsor at a level that gets the mailing list. Very few actually have it so I’ll follow up with them to see if any of them sold/passed that list on. I agree that would be in very bad form for one of our sponsors to do that.

7 Likes

Yep I got it also and auto deleted it. I did not go to TPF or Pinburgh or any of the other tourney’s listed so not sure where the e-mail list was acquired from. Screams spam/click bait to me when they want you to click on some link and then they’re going to send you $15…

Phoebe

Josh, can you confirm you have now stopped the policy of handing out our email (and other?) details to third parties?
Sponsors could still access the email list by requesting that the IFPA send emails to the list on their behalf. This has a number of benefits:

1 - It’s not illegal
2 - Our email/other details aren’t at risk of spreading beyond the third party
3 - It means the sponsors have a reason to repeat their subscription (because once they stop paying, they can no longer access the email list)
4 - If I want to stop receiving email, or update my email address, I only have to contact the IFPA, not everyone you might have passed the email along to (and their partners too)
5 - The sponsors are forced to use the latest, up to date email list that you hold, rather than a list that is years old and has invalid details, or people that have since explicitly opted out.
6 - You can verify mail before it is sent to the list. We don’t want no virus mails etc
7 - If your email list is kept private, but we get unexpected spam mail from third parties, it’s a good sign your security has been breached. Knowing this is better than not knowing.
8 - Did I mention the legal thing? :slight_smile:

3 Likes