Pinball manufacturers: Please add easy HDMI output for streamers!

Yeah, I read the entire thread. :wink: I saw that cable link. I was hoping to get a picture of both ends so I could try making my own and maybe avoid paying (cable+shipping) nearly as much for the cable as I did for the board.

I can get you a picture of one later

i understand this is totally justifiably a low-priority issue with JJP, but just out of curiosity, was anything ever done about this? i always thought having an apron screen would be super cool ā€“ thereā€™s so much happening on-screen with WOZ, and i am terrible at looking up at it. My new Wonka LE (with the TV monitor under the glass) has recently rekindled my enthusiasm for the concept.

i messed around with it a couple years back. i was able to hook up an external monitor and was able to get both it and the JJP main display working at the same time, but i couldnā€™t get it to work with smaller screens (i.e. any screen that was 720 instead of 1080, which is all of the available screens that are appropriate for an apron screen, last time i checked). thatā€™s where i gave up. seemed like a Linux config issue (especially since some people said it worked prior to 6.x), but iā€™m just speculating.

Is this the same cable?

1 Like

Yes. Order a few! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, Yes, Thanks, I could not find that for the life of me. :grin: Thatā€™s a much more reasonable price.

1 Like

Yes I ordered a few with the board.

Is there one post somewhere in here that shows all the exact things you need to buy and instructions on how to set this up? Would love to get direct capture from my JP.

1 Like
1 Like

I took a couple shots at it a couple years ago with some folks on the JJP google group. Nothing I tired got it to work, though, which was kind of irritating. Youā€™re right in that itā€™s some config file adjustment somewhere. Something definitely changed in Ubuntu versions.

1 Like

When plugging the LDVS cable into the motherboard, does it need to be shifted over to accommodate the ā€œdeadā€ pins the stern cable has?

it has one less column of pins so as long pin one on the stern board matches pin 1 on the HDMI board you are good to do.

1 Like

(the no signal is me changing channel on my HDMI matrix)

One issue Iā€™m having with the Stern output is that the blackmagic 4 port card wonā€™t display the output from it. My magewell cards work fine with it though.

Neil.

1 Like

@GeekGamerTV

To be clear all I need to purchase is one of these

asking for the Single 8 version

and some extra cables

Then I wire the output from the board to the top connector, my stern monitor to the bottom and my HDMI to my Monitor/Video Capture and good to go?

I want to try some streaming but I also have another idea :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

I found that the LVDS to HDMI adapter is a newer version and passthrough does NOT work. So it looks like weā€™ll both need to order the splitter and a second cable now. :frowning:

Also I got an audio cable and a tiny connector to plug into the audio in on the board, so the direct stereo audio will come with the HDMI signal. I donā€™t have parts on these as I got them at a local electronics store fitting them to the LVDS boardā€™s audio input.

Ahh bummer :slight_smile:

Hmm I only bought the boardā€¦ do I need to order this cable too? @GeekGamerTV

Update: I am officially giving up on this effort.

The board I have doesnā€™t match the one in the pics from @GeekGamerTV, and doesnā€™t appear to have passthrough.

Connecting it to the port on the motherboard and into the LDVS IN on the converter yielded nothing whatsoever. I had the cable right justified (no skipped pins) on both ends.

I am frustrated and bummed and consider myself lucky that my machine still works after all this. Iā€™m not going to be the guinea pig, maybe someone else will solve this and document it.

Are the newer Sterns all using LCD display resolutions of 1366x768 ? Or does it vary from game to game?

Iā€™m told the guys who automated the Batman 66 game in the NL are using the 1080p version of the LVDS-HDMI converter boardā€¦ so they got it to work?

Is Deadpool, JP or Iron Maiden in 1080 or 1366x768?