Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Boo! Don’t bring logic into this.

1 Like

Any plans to have a one click WPPR estimator or TGP calculator connected to this?

All the improvements so far sound amazing! Thanks for all the work and happy to contribute money for the improvements!

Unless @pinwizj and IFPA makes the TGP calculations much much (much much much) simpler I won’t be adding a TGP calculator. The TGP system is far too complicated and changes too much to be something that’s possible for me to automated at this point.

I made TGP calculator for WPPR 5.2 (the 2016 edition). I think that was the last time I’d want to be involved in that particular exercise. TGP calculations have gotten a lot worse since then!

I assume you already know about the one linked on the IFPA site under Resources, but if not, here you go.

https://chunkout.com/wppr/WhatWPPRs.php

it’s the TGP calculations that are tricky, not the WPPR estimation.

Yeah, I just figured you could have a tab that does the same calculation rather than going to another site and putting in the matchplay id

Video 26: Pingolf Predictions
Friday fun time with Pingolf tournaments: Predict the outcome of the tournament while in progress :exploding_head:

Available in the new Match Play, a chart that shows the predicted result (player continues to play the same average), a likely range of results (player plays 25% better or 25% worse) and the total possible range (player gets all hole-in-ones or all max strokes).

Chart is useful if results are entered as you go. Take advantage of the feature that lets players enter their own results as soon as they finish a hole.

Thank you to Eugene Gershtein for the inspiration and spreadsheet starting point. It’s not exactly what you wanted, but should be fun anyway :crossed_fingers: And thank you @bkerins for number crunching and data visualization advice! :star_struck:

As always, this is where you want to go: https://next.matchplay.events/

How easy/difficult would it be to put in “Count Best X” for Pingolf?

We’ve been running a format where:

• There’s 9 machines
  • You pick 6 to play
  • You count the best 5 scores (drop one as a mulligan)

This format gives us flexibility if a machine goes down, and gives players a mental boost if they have a single bad game.

If I’m being a choosing beggar, I want to use all these cool new golf features while still having an easy way to have an accurate PGM and only count their best 5 holes.

Right now what I do is I don’t assign arenas, we manually look at their scorecard, and put in their top 5 and the hole has no connection to the actual machine played.

I’ve added a setting for you to only count the best X results for each player. See screenshot below.

The golf predictions will work just as well if players play all holes (players play 9 holes, best 8 are counted), but in your specific case the predictions won’t be as good. This is because if you create a course of 9 holes in MP, but players actually only play 6 of them (with 5 counting) then there’s no way for MP to know that players on play six. Predictions are based on the assumption that players play the entire course. They should still give an idea but the actual numbers won’t make sense for you.

I did double check the PGM calculation I think it’s still correct, but I’ll rely on you to double-check that for me :wink:

As always Andreas, thank you.

8 Likes

Does the new software convert score on each hole into strokes in minus or positive based on the par of holes. I always use my own scoresheet due to that but if is shows this I will try it out next week in our PinGolf Championship.

@diehardpinball Yep, I added par scores a while back. On the scorecards page you can click on the table headers to sort whichever way you want.

I’ve made large number of improvements to pingolf recently:

• Set a par score and see +/- for each player
  • Sort the scorecards table any way you want
  • Attach arenas to golf holes so players can see which hole belongs to which machine
  • Set target scores for each arena and MP will show the Pin-masters score brackets (for 6-10 strokes) for each arena
  • Predictions for likely results during the tournament
  • Charts showing the score distribution for each arena

You can see all of that in action on this tournament (predictions are not that interesting because the tournament is over): Match Play Events

3 Likes

Thanks I haven’t fooled around with it for a while I will use it next weekend thanks for all your hard work!

1 Like

Doing a little testing today and I have some questions.
MP-TJtest
What is the difference between “Overall max. attempts” and “Attempts on each arena”? On a related note, “Number of arenas counted” vs “Number of Best Games”?

I’ll describe what I’m trying to do.
8 week league meets once per week, five games per week.
Everyone plays the same five games each week, Linear scoring. Lowest two weeks are dropped.
If a player is absent for a meet their score will be zero, so that week would be dropped.

I think using a Series will do what I want but not quite sure about the number of attempts, arenas counted, and best games.

Ideas welcomed if there is a better way.
Thanks

For definitions of the options see the handbook (haven’t gotten this moved to the new system yet): Best game tournaments | Match Play Events Handbook

I also think you want to set this up as a series with one tournament per week (so you can drop the two worst weeks). As far as I understand you want to count all five games each week but drop the worst two weeks.

So you want to count all 5 games in each tournament, but let the series drop the worst results.

2 Likes

I wished there was an option to include playoff points into the standings. Our league does 15/20 but the points for the playoffs on that night are also included in the overall points. We are still using a spreadsheet to calculate those manually. Otherwise the 15/20 would great within MP.

I’m afraid I don’t understand. What’s 15/20 and what exactly is the problem with standings?

I also don’t know what you mean by 15/20, but can you include your playoffs as an event in the series? That will allow the points from the finals to be included in the overall series points. Not sure how that works with different events in the series having different formats.

We count 15/20 events… in other word we drop 5 events. Each event runs a playoff.

So 7 round match play 7,5,3,1 it count all points, however when I then run the playoffs 4,2,1,0 it does not add those points in the series that was created for those 20 events.

That is all I was getting to…

In our league on any given night you can get 49 + 12 + 12 = 73 league points for any given night. Match Play does the up to 49 well in a series but no option to add playoff rounds scoring to series points.

I can confirm that if you have your series set to “sum of points” then playoff tournaments are not pulled into the standings for each tournament when calculating the series standings. Honestly it’s that way because I couldn’t conceive of someone structuring their league the way you have :sweat_smile: