Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Maybe it’s been fixed since but I had thought direct links didn’t work if you weren’t logged in. It seems to be working now.

2 Likes

Video #35: Amazing Race
New tournament format: Amazing Race. All players play the same machine. Player with lowest score is eliminated. Everyone else plays the next machine. Player with lowest score is eliminated. Repeat until there’s only one player remaining.

Match Play manages queues for each machine and players start playing their next machine as soon as they advance, cutting down on wait times.

Video below of me moving through the basics. Requires a premium subscription and is exclusive to the new version of Match Play.

As always, access the new Match Play at https://next.matchplay.events/

Big thanks for Evan Bingham who runs this format annually and answered all my dumb questions.

4 Likes

Is it possible to adjust the number of people eliminated each round? I’m not familiar with this format but it seems like that would be a nice option to have.

Nope. The very core idea of the concept is that only one person is eliminated each game. No need to complicate matters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sweet! Love this format. Great for someone like me who’s rarely the best but can usually avoid being the worst. I’ve run a few of them just with paper & pen at each game. We always called it Last Man Standing which, granted, is not exactly inclusive.

3 Likes

I played something like this in the past (Different name then Amazing Race)
But we just had some play 1st game in the line then stand by the game and as soon as some get’s an lower score as your game then you move to next game in the line.
I don’t really see how you can cutting down on wait times having to report scores to the DESK may make them longer.

We just ran a Head to Head Single Elimination finals last weekend, is there any plans to allow a best-of-x format to individual record each game played and not just who won the entire series?

Eventually this will be nice to support recording individual results for best-of-x but it can’t happen until I can shut down the old version of MP

Is that because the old version has limitations and the new version has to operate within them?

Yep, in some cases I can work around them. In others I can’t.

2 Likes

We ran League night tonight and decided to try out a side-game Amazing Race. People loved it!

Big Screen view was clutch to show where people stood and who was on the hot seat. Queues ran themselves. Positive reactions from players when they reached the target or got off the hot seat. Loved the ability to pick a game as soon as the round started.

Also loved the ability to add players (and remove) players into Round 1 after the event start since we didn’t know how many we’d have at the start.

Overall, it took a while. We had 11 people, and after 2 hours (running at the same time as League) we got it down to 5. At that point we called it and made the five play a final game and declared a winner.

If I am being a choosing beggar here, I would love love love the ability to pick the number of eliminations per round. If we could remove three or four per round, this is a very viable (and fun!) format to run as a side event.

If that’s not possible, if I were to run this again I would run two at once and split the group and make the winners face off.

3 Likes

No idea what games you had to choose from, but when I ran these we always had a mix of classics & moderns. I structured the race from shortest playing game to longest, burning through the classics for some quick early eliminations.

2 Likes

Makes sense! Location we played last night had a bunch of moderns. Next time I run a proper IFPA one we’ll do it at a place with a bunch of classics.

Another thing is that if someone slips up early in a round, it makes it much quicker. Had one round where someone got 49M on Theatre of Magic early, and that round was lightning-quick vs. the round that multiple people got 6M+ on Funhouse.

Does anyone know how TGP works for this format?

Each game played in the amazing race portion counts as 1 MGP or 4% TGP I believe.

Same as @chuckwurt mentioned - when I ran an Amazing Race finals last month, I used 1 TGP per game in finals for the results.

I really feel like it would make sense to count as 2X value (2MGP/8%TGP). If 4 player games get double value, surely >4 player games should to, and that’s essentially what it is. Not a hill Im gonna die on or anything, just a thought.

I suppose you could view it as a 1 strike tourney, where only last place takes a strike.

You can also make the argument they should count as 1/3 MPG since in many cases the majority of the players are passing the target score in one ball. 1 MPG feels generous with how little skilled play it takes to advance at times.

That’s not a knock on the format, as it gets pretty fun toward the end, but there can be an awful lot of fluff in the first half of eliminations.

7 Likes

Also there are many formats where you technically have one last person standing, eh?

does the format need a direct play portion? i’m a little confused by the direct play requirement: pin golf doesn’t count even if all players play all the same holes, but 4 consecutive games by the 4 finalists on a single player EM would count?

sorry this thread is a little derailed.