Match Play Events: The Next Generation

@Shaub MP won’t make groups for you for pingolf tournaments. It’s just too much work and it seems like every TD has a different idea of how to create groups for pingolf tournaments.

But players can submit their own results! If they use the “new” version to do so. You should absolutely make players fill in their own scores and avoid doing all that data entry yourself.

Enable “automatic suggestions” for your tournament and you’re good to go. This video shows how a player can add their own results:

As I wrote in a previous post:

1 Like

https://next.matchplay.events/tournaments/78998/scores

How do I add scores?
I watched the video above for Pingolf but that doesn’t appear for Best Game that I can see.

I’m able to enter them using the old version but they don’t auto approve (my own didn’t, that’s the only entry so far.)

To submit scores, go to the arena you want to submit a score for:

1 Like

@haugstrup You appear to have a time zone bug between the old matchplay site and the new site. If I enter an event as starting at 7:00 PM under the old site, it shows up as 6:00 PM in the new site. On both sites, my account is setup with a timezone setting of America/New York.

I do, yes! Unfortunately the problem is with the old MP. It’s off by one hour (I think it’s not taking daylight saving into account but I haven’t looked into it).

Set the time in the new site and forget about the old one. The old site never displays the time to your players so it doesn’t really matter that it’s off over there.

2 Likes

I have been totally snoozing on all of these exciting changes but am caught up now and very excited to plan my next tournament with the new version!

One question(for now;): Is it possible to seed a tournament by the players IFPA rankings? My apologies if I missed it.

Thanks Andreas!

1 Like

Yep yep, you can create the same tournaments you can in the old version

I apologize if this has been asked before @haugstrup … is there any possibility or plan to do 4-player Group match play format with a Strict Swiss player pairing? I searched this thread for the word “strict” and didn’t find any instances.

I know the option exists for H2H format, and I wasn’t sure how difficult it is to build similar logic for that style pairing for Group match play.

1 Like

i always thought strict swiss in 4 players would make a serious disconnect between “top” group match duration compared to the bottom group. Lots of waiting around for the quicker lower group waiting for the top one to finish.

I think we’re confusing nomenclature here: I believe you’re referring to just “Swiss,” as defined in MP.

“Strict Swiss” in MP is Swiss, but with a heavy preference toward avoiding repeat opponents.

So in regard to your point, Strict Swiss would be slightly better than just Swiss, to avoid the time discrepancy between top groups and bottom groups. At least by a little bit.

Hmmmmm, thinking as I type…. with a large enough player field, I think you’ll get the time discrepancy with either of those two options.

My reason for wanting it is to have Swiss, but not have the same players facing each other again and again: better for social mixing, and better for competitive equity as well, IMHO.

1 Like

Yeah I think pairings is like you can have 2 of the three wants, but not all:

Limit repeat opponents
Top players play each other
Limit repeat arenas

1 Like

Strict Swiss is basically an implementation of swiss pairings used in chess tournaments. The difference between and strict and not is that strict is… strict about not having repeat opponents. It’s useful for people who want to run very traditional swiss-system tournaments (like 32 players, play 5 rounds and be done).

With four-player groups building the pairings is a Really Hard Problem™ if you want the same strict rules about avoiding repeat opponents. Some years ago I did spend a bit of time on it, but the amount of work involved meant I didn’t pursue it.

I know there was a big match play tournament in Seattle that used magic squares to generate pairings (I forget the details), but I think it required the tournament to have a perfect number of participants so it wasn’t a good fit for Match Play (the software).

If you can write code (in PHP) I happy to have conversations on how to improve the swiss pairings in four-player tournaments. The strict swiss code was a contribution from a friendly pinballer who really wanted super traditional swiss pairings so he wrote the code to do so and I could integrate it into Match Play

3 Likes

Is that PHP offer also open for Magic Squares? I would love to have Magic Squares be an option in MatchPlay.

Generally speaking yes, but I’d like to understand the advantages and limitations better before you run out to write code. Shoot me and email and we can take it from there?

1 Like

So I haven’t done coding in over two decades… don’t really have the desire to pick it up again. The logic I was thinking of that would work is:

• establish # of 4P and 3P groups
  • start with best record player from previous round, or randomly choose a player who has best record if there’s a tie.
  • start working down through the player field, starting with players that share the same record, or one (or more) slot worse than them. If the best player hasn’t faced them, then they’re in that group. If the best player has faced them, then skip them.
  • continue that until the top group is filled.
  • then repeat that process again with the remaining best player that isn’t already placed in a group.
1 Like

Matchplay is currently spamming me with a bunch of text notifications from the tournament I played in last weekend. I tried to turn on notifications on both matchplay and next.matchplay but only ever got them for 1 arena change and not for any matches. They all came through at once just in the past 2 minutes.

My apologies, the worker that processes text messages got stuck. I just restarted it and that unexpectedly that flushed a bunch of old jobs.

I’ll be switching to a different system before too long

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick update!

2 Likes

Is it intentional that the new version will not let you link directly to tournaments? It was nice to be able to send others (or even post to my blog) a link to a tournament so they could follow along.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. What’s preventing you from sending a link of the tournament to people?