Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Full disclosure: I’m pretty darn excited about these features. The next version of Match Play will have a light-weight registration system built-in. Players can register themselves and tournament organizers can collect e-mails/phone numbers from their players, mark registrations as being paid and/or checked-in. With just a couple of clicks the organizer can turn registrations into players in the tournament.

Video #16: Configure registration settings
The tournament organizer has a handful of settings to toggle on/off for their tournaments. It’s flexible enough to handle most wishes. You can let players register themselves or manage everything yourself.

Video #17: Player registration
It has never been easier to register for a tournament. Match Play will automatically fill out your name, IFPA number, e-mail and phone number. Less typing, more pinball!

Video #18: Manage registrations
The tournament organizer can mark registrations as paid/checked in, move people on/off the wait list or edit all registration data. Finally they can click a couple of times to convert all registrations to actual players in the tournament!

Video #19: Series registrations
Tournament series also support registrations. You can use this to manage a roster for your league. Create a list of registrations (your roster) at the start of a season and add players from the roster to each tournament as you go. You can also just use the list to keep track of who has paid for that season.

11 Likes

I cannot wait for this to go live. Hopefully the price goes up for this so we can pay you for you hard work!! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I’m a bad business person and the registration features will be available even without a paid subscription :joy:

7 Likes

Excited to use this for our larger tournaments.

But you should listen to yourself and become a better business person. Putting this feature as part of subscription only would offend nobody and hopefully make you a bit more profit from your efforts.

7 Likes

Been using the Beta for the past few months really enjoying the new features in it. The registration tool is great, can wait to be able to try it out.

2 Likes

I’ve used it for a couple of events with Scorbit integration, the platform just hoovers in the scores and results from the games! its effortless! Top job Andreas!

3 Likes

Video #20: Add group
Sometimes mistakes happen (or someone shows up late… again) and you really need an extra group created.

Used to be impossible, but now you can click a couple of times and add a new group to an existing round. Only available for group matchplay and group knockout tournaments because they’re flexible enough to handle this kind of chaos.

Try out the new Match Play here: https://next.matchplay.events/

6 Likes

New tournament format: Target Match Play
Set a points target, when a player reaches the target they’re not included in any subsequent rounds. You may recognize this format from such excellent tournaments as Pinball at the Lake and The Amazing Pinball Race.

This is a format exclusive to the new version of Match Play. It will not work in the old version. Go to: https://next.matchplay.events/

7 Likes

Wondering what we should call this vs. the traditional target matchplay that ends when the first player reaches the target?

Is the idea behind this to continue playing until all players reach the target score? Or some predetermined # like 16 going into a finals?

Yep. The amazing race tournament in Columbus during the summer does this exact thing. Target matchplay qualifying with amazing race finals.

even then you can have more then one player hit or go over the target in the same round

I think the definition of “traditional target match play” depends a lot on where you are in the world. :wink: Like @chuckwurt says this is for situations where you’re playing qualifying and need a handful of players for finals. Pinball at the Lake in Southern California or The Amazing Pinball Race tournament in Ohio are the two most well-known tournaments I know of using this format.

If you’re halting all play the moment the first player hits your target, you don’t need a new tournament format in MP. You can run those using the existing “group match play” format.

@chuckwurt you have be able to guess what I’m working on next if you read on your message again. It will be amazing

2 Likes

Yep and the person with the most points over is higher ranked. If they are tied, break the ties by your typical means.

Can’t wait!!

@haugstrup I am testing a tournament in next.matchplay before an actual tournament, and I use automatic tiebreaks based on most 1st and 2nd places.

5 rounds in, this seems to not work as intended.

If I look at my (Morten Søbyskogen) current results, I have two wins and one 2nd place:

While the other Morten Bjellås has one win and two 2nd places:

My understanding is that I should have a higher position because i have more wins, but currently we are placed both in 7th. Is this a bug or is there some stuff behind the scenes Im not aware of?

You have to include a link to your tournament or you really aren’t giving me a chance here

2 Likes

Ah, sorry, was thinking about the intentional behaviour, here is the link:

https://next.matchplay.events/tournaments/78832

I had time to look at this today and found a bug with the tiebreaker code in the new Match Play. It’s all fixed up now and the ties are broken like you’d expect. Thank you for letting me know @drainmorten :pray:

8 Likes

Got out of the habit posting here so here is a bit of a video dump.

Video #21: Randomizer
The randomizer received a bit of an upgrade. You can flip a coin, generate a random number or pick a random arena.

Video #22: View/copy/refresh IFPA rankings
At the bottom of the players list you can get a list of IFPA rankings for players in the tournament. Click a button to refresh the rankings or another to copy the list to the clipboard if you need it for whatever reason.

Video #23: Broadcast view
The broadcast view has been completely revamped. Various toggles for colors, size, orientation etc. As well as the ability to leave the broadcast view of the latest match on a specific arena.

Video #24: Pingolf arenas
The tournament organizer can attach an arena to each of the holes on a pingolf course (do this after starting the tournament). The arena name is shown when viewing and filling out scorecards.

6 Likes

A little extra for the pingolfers out there. Tournament organizer can set a par score and the scorecards will display the par over/under for each player.

golf par score

5 Likes

Cool, we just held a PinGOLF tourney on Sunday and I had a lot of people asking me about par. I just told them to worry about total strokes instead of par but this is definitely themeatically much more fitting.

There isn’t a way to set groups is there? We play with the same 4 player group throughout our qualifying round and having a score entry process similar to group match play would be much easier for me to keep on top of entering scores.

1 Like