Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Hmmm…”Biggest Complainer Trophy”. Might have to make a few of these. :thinking:

3 Likes

Hi Andreas.

Just to let you know Dina and I are great fans of MatchPlay - we wouldn’t be able to run tournaments without it :slightly_smiling_face: - awesome product.

We’re JDL_Pinball tournament streamers if you didn’t already know and we generally put rigs on 2 machines during qualification rounds. We’re able to show both games simulateously or switch between the two. We’ll then stream a few games (rounds) before moving the rigs to different machines.

Depending on the tournament format / number of players etc. it often happens that 1 or even 2 of the streamed machines are not drawn leaving a ‘blank round’ for the viewers.

I’m not sure if anyone else has requested this but is it possible to assign specific arenas to be always selected in each round and make it so the arenas could be changed if needed before each round is drawn? They could be called ‘stream or preferred arenas’ perhaps!

I know our tournament directory (Toby Wagemann) has a work-around for this but would be nice to have it as a feature.

We’re pretty much out of commission at present of course but looking forward to tournaments resuming in the not too distant future!

Take care, Jim.

9 Likes

Video #8: Arena banks
A short video to show that not everything is changing. How you configure arena banks stays pretty much the same. No point in trying to invent something new here :stuck_out_tongue:

@JDL_PINBALL Last year you added this idea to the feedback forums and it’s received quite a few votes since then. That was the right thing to do – I monitor those ideas and look at the popularity when deciding which features to add to Match Play! A workaround would be to say “at the start of each round, if the preferred machine is not in use, a random machine will be replaced with the preferred machine”.

3 Likes

Thanks Andreas. Nice to know you follow the feedback forum too. Keep up the good work.
Look forward to working with your next generation post CV :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool. Is it possible to also bring in QR code scanning that is not dependent on Scorbit? That won’t take off here in Australia due to prohibitive cost.

Something that would be useful is printing a QR code and sticking it to the apron of a machine, and also scanning a player’s player card QR code. Just so a scorer can quickly get to a game or player name. Nice to have, but not the highest priority.

I will add QR code generation directly inside Match Play if there’s demand. But just to be clear: To generate & print the Scorbit QR codes you do not need to pay anyone anything. You just need the free Scorbit app. You do not need the Scorbitron hardware in your machines.

Don’t worry… player QR code are coming!

4 Likes

Let’s please - not have multiple QR codes though - Scorbit for this is free! Let’s use that!

Given Australia is about to be invaded by GNR and other JJP games with Scorbit built in you might see more take up - that’s what’s happened in the UK.

2 Likes

If I add QR code generation to Match Play I would make Match Play generate Scorbit QR codes. There would be no benefit in coming up with something else.

3 Likes

Didn’t know we could generate Scorbit QR codes for free. That is cool.

2 Likes

Video #9: Point adjustments
One thing that confuses many is that when you adjust points (or strikes) the number you pick is the total adjustment. So if you make one adjustment and then have to make a second adjustment to the same player, the second adjustment replaces the first adjustment.

I wanted to make this more clear so in the new version the existing adjustment is shown in the input field when you go to make subsequent adjustments.

Another constant point of confusion is that the point adjustment page was hard to find. In the new version you can adjust points from the “player inspector” so it’s available from anywhere you can click on a player’s name. In this video I’m adjusting points from the standings page, but I could also have done it from the players page or while looking at a specific match etc.

5 Likes

All good stuff, thank you! Do you have a rough idea on when this release will be available?

That’s a difficult question. I’m working on the features that are absolutely required to run tournaments (for example: adding players) while ignoring the rest (think stuff like challenge matches). This should allow me to open up for testers before finishing everything.

But timing is extremely difficult to talk about. The global pandemic has given me less time to work on Match Play (though getting better) and I’ve had some personal matters causing me to have to pause Match Play work for the past month.

5 Likes

I’m getting close to opening up the next version of Match Play for testers. If you run tournaments on Match Play and would like to help with testing, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/w1FGvQ2sM5YtAzrf6

7 Likes

@haugstrup - Are you able to add Flip Frenzy as a choice for finals?

I wanted to share three videos showing off more of how the Scorbit integration will work on Match Play. Don’t forget you can get access to all this goodness by filling out this form: https://forms.gle/w1FGvQ2sM5YtAzrf6

Video #10: Scorbit account linking
Not a super exciting video, but an important part of having Scorbit and Match Play talk to each other is to link your accounts together!

Video #11: Scorbit location sync
Match Play uses the Scorbit collection of venues (that contains data from the Pinball Map as well) when you search for a location for your tournament. When you see the Scorbit logo next to the tournament location it means that the tournament is connected to a Scorbit venue, unlocking more integrations.

Video #12: Scorbit arena sync
…and the first of those integrations is that you can quickly add arenas to your tournament based on the Scorbit venue. And again: If you see a Scorbit logo next to an arena is means the arena is connected to Scorbit, unlocking more integrations!

This integration is possible because both Scorbit and Match Play uses data from the Open Pinball Database to identify pinball machines. This facilitates an open exchange of data between our platforms.

Much more to come here!

5 Likes

I’d like to throw my hat in the ring on this one as well. We do it when we have launch parties. I’d love to have a way to force Matchplay to use one particular game each round so that the launch game is always played.

Right now we start the round and if the game isn’t randomly picked, we use a RNG to pick the group who’s game gets switched to the launch game. It works just fine, but it would be cool to have it inside the software.

1 Like

The Match Play beta lets you change the arena for matches before publishing a round so that’s half the battle at least (go fill out that signup form to get access).

For the other half, go leave you mark here: Preferred machines (for streaming) – Match Play Events feedback forums

2 Likes

Video #13: Players can submit Pingolf results
After years of gentle(?) encouragement from @JLemire it’s done. Players will be able to submit their own Pingolf scores in the next version of Match Play.

Only “automatic” suggestions are supported. That means when a player submits a result it’s automatically accepted as an official result. Once submitted a player cannot update their results. The tournament organizer can always change the result later if a mistake was made, of course!

5 Likes

Video #14: Get match results from Scorbit
Get yourself a Scorbitron (or a wifi dongle for your JJP machine) and entering scores and results by hand could be a thing of the past.

6 Likes

Video #15: Best Game Scorbit results
More Scorbit goodness. Pulling in scores when adding results in Best Game tournaments.

3 Likes