Match Play Events: The Next Generation

I probably won’t have a lot of news you’re going to like, but I believe in straight talk.

Adding players: You’re right that you’re using MP in a different way than it was designed. The interface for adding players is built for the organizer to use. If you have a group of beginners adding themselves then something will always be wrong – if not the dialog box closing then something else.

Entering results: It’s effectively the same as the old MP. If you don’t like the circles, then click the player names like in the old MP and you’ll get the same behavior. The circles are there because the new MP lets you save partial results, something the old MP can’t do.

The old and new systems store game data in the exact same place. Reload your browser when you switch between the two to get synced up.

Sticking with the old MP: I’d urge you to leave the old MP behind. I will shut it down and it will not not stick around. The only reason I haven’t done it yet is because it takes time to shut it down safely and I haven’t had found the time to do it yet.

I recognize that all change is hard to handle, but these are necessary changes. It’s not possible to keep the old MP around and you’re better off spending your time adapting to the new MP than hanging onto an old version that will for sure go away sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

OK - I appreciate the feed back - how much longer do you think the old way will be active?

Re: Something will always be wrong - it worked fine before with no problems…for a year. Can you bring back the button to keep the window open?

I don’t know if it was a fluke but I started a tourney on the old way - switched to the new and the active tournament showed as not started and I could start it as a new tournament. I hard refreshed and it was the same. I ended up having to match the groups up manually.

I run one round with 5 games in it per meeting - with over 50 players the big screen view doesn’t fit - should I be doing it differently?

Last thing - if you were able to make the sidebar collapsible that would give more space for the matches. Just a suggestion. It takes up a lot of space

The scrolling is a bit annoying on the big screen view especially for big flipper frenzy or max match play formats it would be nice to have a feature where you can change the size of the view screen maybe three views from biggest to smallest so you can see all of the groupings on one page for larger tournaments. I find the group match play works well I have run 15 groups at a time one one screen before with no issues.

2 Likes

First things first: If you don’t like the autoscroll, click the option that disables it!

Second thing: This conversation is timely because I was making changes to the big screen view anyway. There’s a new option now: “Hide standings”. Click that and you get twice as many games displayed on the big screen view

Match_Play_Events

7 Likes

In particular for Max Match Play and Flipper Frenzy views I do disable autoscroll, but unfortunately because the view doesn’t show a lot of games it is a real pain. I actually have to use the old version view as it is much better for these formats. If there was a way to get more games on a one page view then that would be ideal like the old version did. This is specifically a problem for Max Match Play and Flipper Frenzy the Group Match Play works fine IMO.

get a bigger TV? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our standings are displayed on a 86 inch tv how big do you want us to go lol…

whoa i forgot you have all that oil money up there lol we have ours on a 55" and it is usually fine. i may have to zoom out a bit sometime though i haven’t run a lot of big max matchplay so it may be harder with those-

Just be happy you don’t have to use pen and paper :smiley:

The resolution matters more than the size. Doesn’t matter if the tv is 86"… if it’s 1080p then it’s not going to fit as many games a 27" monitor at 4k :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

true, maybe a cool 75" 4K Tv for $700 is the answer to your problem Derek :smiley:

https://www.amazon.com/amazon-fire-tv-75-inch-omni-series-4k-smart-tv/dp/B08T6JZTH4

This is ours…

It was was $3200 at the time, it ain’t the tv, it is the format on which both Max Match Play and Flipper Frenzys are on big screen view. In old system can see all groups which is why I still use it for view, in new system you either use autoscroll or you turn it off suffer which only seeing half the groups. I want the same view as old match play to be able to see every grouping even if I have 20 of them going at the same time. We run some big tournaments and it is nice for everyone to see their grouping especially in these formats as it get chaotic to say the least and we get lots of newbies and corporate events that only use the view screen to see.

On my small ass 24 inch screen I get 7 on new match play and almost 10 on old match play. If I project this on my 86 inch tv I get all of the matchs on the old but only about half of them on the new, that is what I referring to is the layout.

The Queue and the Standings are much improved, thou due to the refresh rate the scrolling of standings doesn’t work very good for frenzies, but the games in process was much more compressed like the old verison. That is all I am saying.

3 Likes

gotcha, so the main difference, is 2 per line in the old format vs 1 per in the new format.

1 Like

Bingo! I run a lot of these events especially for large corporate parties, these are a riot and people love them but when I use the new big screen for them my parties a super confused due to the layout and not being able to see all groupings. The scrolling doesn’t help much unfortunately because people see then they don’t and now ask me where they play so the best is to at all possible have as many on screen as possible. The other thing that would help is if the games were put in alphabetical order as well but that is minor compared to the view.

1 Like

Yeah I would think this would just show the big grid of matchups like matchplay does. Especially if you elect to hide the standings.

Is it now intentionally difficult to find historic tournament results on the new version of Matchplay? I’m trying to find a tournament that happened about two months ago with no luck. If I could search by exact date and name of a player in it I could find it in about a minute.

Use the new feature I mentioned to hide the standings and you’ll get double the games shown

1 Like

Yep, it’s a big goal of mine to try to make things as hard as possible.

You could:

• Search for the tournament by name
  • Go to player profile in question and view tournaments they played
  • Go the organizer’s player profile and view tournaments they organized
1 Like

Our 96 player monthly humbly thanks you for the hide standings option kind sir.

3 Likes