Match Play Events: The Next Generation

I’m afraid I don’t understand your question.

2 Points:

1. I recently played Group matchplay for the first time when new rounds were started before the last round was finished. Is there anything to consider so that everything works well?

2. I would like to know if it is possible to play Group matchplay in a small location with 30 players but only 5 pinball machines. Is this possible?

it is possible but you will have groups without machine until the groups who has machines finished then you can draw the now available machine again. not very time efficient.

2 Likes

I think pairing choice is going to be the deciding factor on time efficiency.
If you’re using swiss, you’ll end up with a big log jam.
If you’re using balanced or random, it might work out well.

Great thanks.
Of course I know that there are waiting times. I just wanted to know that it works because it is absolutely new for me that in group matchplay you can start rounds before all are finished the games in actual round

There’s not really anything to it. If your tournament is configured so that player pairings don’t depend on the previous results in the tournament, MP will let you start any number of rounds.

So, for example, if you have swiss pairings you can’t start multiple rounds, but if you have balanced pairings you can.

1 Like

@nudgey @pinzap @chuckwurt @TracyLindy @LOTR_breath I built something for finding tournaments that’s been bouncing around in my head for a while. I’d love to hear if you think it’s something you would use.

It looks like this:

My assumption is that it’s possible to find many tournaments you want to find without having to search. I’m hoping that a few hand-picked options will cover most cases.

You can try it by going to https://next.matchplay.events/find – let me know what you think :pray:

This is just one step towards making it easier to find tournaments. @nudgey I am looking into the search filter you mentioned as well as adding a search input on the “Tournaments” page

4 Likes

Looks like a great feature! What are the parameters for nearby? And I assume the tournament has to actually list an address in order for that to work?

Tournament must have a location and that location must have lat/lng coordinates. You can use address as a proxy – I don’t think it’s possible to create a location that has an address but not the coordinates. If you create your location using the scorbit/pinballmap search you’re good to go.

I think I set it to match within 10kms of your current location

Cool cool. Can you make it 40 kms? Pretty usual for people to look for stuff 25 miles or so from them if they are on vacation to try and find something to play in. Would be faster than scouring the IFPA site I’d think.

I can make it whatever, but there’s a balance. 40kms will give you an entire phone book of results in urban areas. One thing I’m wondering is whether people wants to find the tournament they’re at right now (so a short distance) or if they’re looking for what’s generally around (a longer distance).

This is good feedback. I wonder if it’s better to have three distance options: “here”, “nearby” and “anywhere”

1 Like

Trust your gut, but those were the only couple things that came to my mind. Thanks again for adding this!

Does the IFPA API provide that info? Most calendar entries have the address.

1 Like

It probably does, but MP tournaments aren’t at this time connected to IFPA calendar submissions. Adding a location to your MP tournaments is straight-forward and uses scorbit/pinballmap to get location data.

So a friend and I are currently in the middle of a casual long-running head-to-head best of 21 match using matchplay. But having it run over multiple days, I notice that if you go to Stats > Round and check the round Created/Completed Dates, the times appear to be right but the dates are wrong. It seems like any of them that happened in May are listed as May 5 which is probably the first day we started it.

You can find the it here: Match Play Events

1 Like

Thank you for working on this and getting feedback!

Dates: I wouldn’t use this filter very often. As a player, 85% of the time I’m looking for a tournament on the day it is happening. As a TD, I can already see my planned/future dated events by clicking the main Tournaments page.

Location: Having a “nearby” filter is a nice option. However, this won’t apply to tournaments out of people’s homes or at a private pinball club. (I believe all the location addresses are public?)

Who’s Playing: Would definitely use this.

1 Like

It seems as though when setting up a target matchplay qualifying format, the option to choose ‘automatic tiebreaker’ disappears. Is there a reason for this, or am I doing it wrong?

I need to enable tiebreakers for each tournament format and apparently neglected to do so for Target MP!

1 Like

Just wanted to add positive feedback that Max MatchPlay continues to run well. Ran my 3rd MMP event, and wanted to applaud the ability to adjust the # of games mid-tourney. It went seamlessly – things were running well/fast, so we adjusted from 12 games to 14 (always remembering to stay with even # of games), and we had zero issues.

3 Likes

Hey there - I just wanted to offer some feedback on the new setup. I think maybe I do things a little different but I basically set up a little touchscreen kiosk and people sign themselves in and record results that way. I found that the new layout doesn’t work this way very well. The way the add players feature works now with the check boxes means an increase in people picking the wrong people by accident when they are scrolling and also they are used to hitting the button but that means they keep closing window and getting lost. I like how the old one has a checkbox for it to stay open. Adding the arena and results is confusing and the buttons are too small so people are zooming in. Also if there was a way to use the same database for active games in both platforms that would be nice, so we could toggle between them in a live situation- if I had a tourney started in the old version and i start the new version it shows the game as not started. Again I realize my use case is totally different, because we serve a lot of beginners, about 20% are logged in to MP and everything happens on one smaller touchscreen. I think I will be sticking with the old version just for the interface (both on the bigscreen and rounds view). The ability to add groups is the #1 reason why I switched but the layout on the old one is just much more streamlined with less things to click with no sidebars and stuff. All I need on the matches page would be the matches - maybe make the sidebars collapsable? I’m sure you heard it all and I don’t want to be negative, and I’ll bet more advanced tournament directors with pro players love it - but I hope the other one stays live for a while so I can use it.