Match Play Events Open Thread

Just wanted to post here that if you didn’t know (as I didn’t) that if you run a Pin-Golf tournament, Matchplay will auto calculate your PGM which is awesome! I spent 30 minutes calculating everything out based off the IFPA details for a recent Pin-Golf Pin Crawl we had and then @PressStart got back to me with a screen grab showing how MP automagically calculates it for you so use MatchPlay and when you submit it’ll be easier for you as TD and for IFPA! :golfing_man:t4:‍♀:golf:

2 Likes

I’ve been running a lot of Frenzies lately, and I’m noticing some interesting matchup patterns happening each week.

Since we have 24 machines and are averaging between 18-22 players, we try to keep only 1-2 in the queue as necessary.

Is a “Hide Queue” option a possibility? I totally understand with a larger queue that seeing it might be necessary, but in our particular arrangement I think it might be beneficial for the players reporting to not know who they will be playing next.

Short of taping a piece of construction paper over the screen, of course.

1 Like

Have you considered having both players report results at the same time? There will always be one player who will want the results to be entered as quickly as possible

Just had this tournament last night. IFPA results say that that Stu got second and Ken and Trent ties for third.

In round 12 all three of these players got knocked out with ken getting 2nd Stu third and Trent 4th. I would assume that then for the final results Ken would get second Stu third and Trent 4th.

What am I missing?

Also all three players had 8 strikes going into round 12.

Ken has a strikes adjustment and the standings within a round get a little wonky when that feature is used in knockout tournaments

Okay I’ll have the IFPA fix the results. Imo there should be no ties and Ken should be second Stu third and Trent 4th.

UPDATE. I had a few too many and forgot I made two players break the tie for second after round 12. All is good. Haha

1 Like

Hello Andreas, I hope you’ve been well. A quick question regarding “Target” Match Play. - http://www.indisc.com/classics-match-play-championship/ . Could you add this option for points - (3/2/1/0) (3/2/1 for 3 player groups) ?

Just added a new idea to the Matchplay forum.

Flip Frenzy Finals Option

When running Flip Frenzy competitions, I would like to have the option to select Flip Frenzy when selecting “create finals”.

At all of my events, we do 3 hours of qualifying with the top 10 advancing the to Finals. The Finals consist of another 60 minute Flip Frenzy.

Vote here:

I’m hesitant to add a scoring option like that because it’s very difficult to explain to people why they should use this over the normal 3/2/1/0 scoring option. You always have the option to adjust points for players in three-player groups?

Just a note: Even though “flip frenzy” isn’t in the dropdown when you create the finals tournament you know you can pick any option and immediately go edit the tournament to make it a flip frenzy, right? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perfect!

We have the fortunate windfall to be hosting a Match Play event this weekend with two TX Sectors and two Flash Gordons in the line-up. I have added duplicate arenas without a problem, and the duplicate areas have the the same OPDB.

For the game selection provided by the software, am I correct to presume that the software is going to view these as two unique arenas, or will the software understand through the OPDB that these two are actually the same title of machine and will avoid pairing you on TX #2 if you’ve already played TX #1?

1 Like

The arenas will be treated as unique arenas. OPDB ids are not taken into account when assigning machines. Enjoy the tournament — I wish I could double up on TX Sector!

1 Like

First, I just wanted to publicly share something that I just realized about Flip Frenzies. In the TD mode for logging scores, the sort order is alphabetically by game. It took me about 12 tournaments to realize this, so I wanted to to share because all of us logging results seemed to have glossed over this fact.

I also have a handful of items based on recent events I have played in. Andreas, please let me know which of these you want as suggestions on UserVoice.

Searches involving single quotes

I feel like there’s been a recent change in the way iOS does single quotes. If it wasn’t recent then I just haven’t paid attention. I had a tournament that involved a single quote for "New Year's". Where the single quote in the title seems to be the ASCII 39 character, iOS’s default seems to be the curly single quote ’ character. Anyone searching on iOS couldn’t find the tournament easily via search. Is there any way for search to remove and ignore quotation marks of any kind?

Flip Frenzy Player Order

A long while back I had made the suggestion that P1 becomes P2, and P2 leaves and goes into the queue. How easy or difficult would be to add an option where P2 becomes P1, and P1 leaves and goes back in the queue? What I’m finding as we’ve been involved in these tournaments:
Abby (P1) & Bill (P2) play a game. Abby and Bill walk up together and report the results. Abby gets her new game assignment (P2) and a new game and new opponent Corey (P1) and generally sees that information right away because she’s at the computer. However, Corey is off gallivanting and isn’t quite paying attention, so there’s a delay to the start of the whole game.

If it were the opposite, Abby (P2) & Bill (P1) play a game. Abby and Bill walk up together and report the results. Abby gets her new game assignment (P1) and a new game and new opponent Corey (P2) and generally sees that information right away because she’s at the computer. Abby can start the new game right away while the TD hunts down Corey.

I think having this option will give the opportunity to make things more efficient.

Ability to limit the number of games a person plays in a Flip Frenzy

Is it possible to put a cap on the number of games a player plays? It would be interesting to run an event where at max you’re going to play X number of games during the timeframe. If you’ve hit that max, then you don’t get drawn for any more games in the Flip Frenzy.

Is there somewhere in the API that returns the Average Games Played number

It would be nice to grab this from the tournament mid-flight, if possible.

As always, thank you for the awesome work on this software.

2 Likes

My current solution is if you don’t show up at the scorers table within one minute you’re marked as player not present, awarded a loss, and your opponent gets a new player.

and maybe no more then X more then any other player so you have 1 player with an 30 min game and other with 6 5 min games.

Another one I’ve thought of this evening.

Make more than one “Finals” off an existing event

We’ll run an A, B, and perhaps event C Finals on some events. My understanding is that it’s a one-to-one relationship between the “Make Finals” button and the resulting Tournament.

It would be nice to be able to hit “Make Finals”, and add the players for A, and then go back to the Qualifying event, hit the button again, and then add just the B Players. And then again for C Division.
It’ll help with retaining players and finishing order moving into whatever we’re doing with Finals. Right now I’m making Finals for A, and then cloning the Main event for B/C and then doing a bunch of Activate and Deactivate and then re-seeding.

5 Likes

You shouldn’t see this in a “Flip Frenzy”. The games should be playing relatively fast, anything long playing needs to be removed. Also, part of the Frenzy strategy is to play more opponents, so at some point if someone starts to blow up a game, the other person should just plunge and concede on ball 3. I just ran a Frenzy for 39 players last month, and the top 3 longest playing games were White Water at 9:40, Grand Prix EM (5-ball) at 8:13, and Night Moves at 8:12. On the flip side, my top 3 fastest playing games were Count-Down at 4:11, Bally Eight Ball at 5:00, and Grand Lizard at 5:40. Mind you I also had Stars and Mata Hari that played slightly longer than these 3 games.

…something that I just realized about Flip Frenzies. In the TD mode for logging scores, the sort order is alphabetically by game

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
I tried to make things as predictable as possible. One thing I don’t see TDs use much are the buttons in the top right where you can get a list of players and just have to click the winner. I personally think that’s the fastest way to enter results.

Searches involving single quotes

That’s fixable :slight_smile:

Flip Frenzy Player Order

My initial reaction is that predicability weighs higher than a micro optimization like this. In other words: It’s more important that Flip Frenzy tournaments on MP behave in the same way to avoid confusion around the player order when players play under different TDs. I think you can optimize in other ways instead (announcing new games by yelling really loud or getting a microphone, announcing who’s on deck so they get ready etc.)

Ability to limit the number of games a person plays in a Flip Frenzy

I’d like to see this become an Actual Thing™ before writing code. You can do this manually: When a player hits the right amount of games, deactivate the player and they won’t be put on a new game

Is there somewhere in the API that returns the Average Games Played number

There is not because I didn’t anticipate anyone wanting it :frowning:

Make more than one “Finals” off an existing event

This has been on my personal wish list for a long time, but it’s a little tricky so I haven’t gotten around to it.

2 Likes