Match Play Events Open Thread

Whoops. Sorry about that @stevevt. Reload your browser and you should be good to go

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Surprised no one has tried to make one >4 hours.

I only added the options to the dropdown a week ago. Clearly I didnā€™t get it tested properly

1 Like

Hereā€™s the schedule of my event:

• Session 1: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
  • Meal break: 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm
  • Session 2: 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm

Iā€™m assuming that Iā€™ll be fine letting everyone know when the first session concludes at 2 pm and no more games should start, then just picking up where the software says everyone is supposed to be at 3:30 pm. That should work, right?

I guess I could have set the event for 4 hours, but that would have required me remembering to pause the timer at 2 pm and starting it back up at 3:30 pm.

I honestly donā€™t know how people are doing breaks in flip frenzies. I think your plan sounds reasonable, but I also think pausing the timer would be reasonable :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just paused the timer for our break. I wasnā€™t playing so I could call out how much time was left before the break, and it made it easy for me to stop folks from starting any games once the timer was paused. The only person that had an issue with it was the person that was 1st in the queue when the timer got paused. They felt they were robbed of a slight advantage, but they also didnā€™t really think it was a big deal.

Just a suggestion for an issue I noticed over the weekend. The manual seed interface is really cumbersome if you have a bunch of people. There was a problem that caused us to consider cloning a large tournament in the middle, assigning the previous number of points to the players and re-seeding them. The problem was that the only open for seeding, was to drag. There wasnā€™t any way to drag them past the top of the page.

Meaning if you had a player at the bottom that needed to be seeded 1st, you would have to drag them to the top of the page, scroll up, drag them to the top of the page, scroll up, etc, etc. It would have taken forever.

Would it be hard to allow for you to end seed numbers beside the player names and then just hit save? Iā€™m not sure if this would ever happen again or not, but itā€™s just something that we noticed and I thought Iā€™d bring it up.

Awesome software by the way and Iā€™m happy it gets so much support.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure most people on here are already using Match Play, but if you arenā€™t, what are you waiting for? The software is great and the signature service you get directly from Andreas is next level. I ran a 24 hour tournament over the weekend and somehow the duration was set to 5 rounds and this caused a big snafu of course. I was able to reach Andreas directly and within about 5 minutes he responded and on a Saturday afternoon he went into the back end and fixed the duration to no limit and the tournament proceeded as normal. Thanks Andreas!

4 Likes

@Spyderturbo007 yeah, I know this is problematic and I have some ideas on how to improve things as well, but itā€™s going to take me a while to get to it :confused:

I want to set the right expectations: If Iā€™m around a laptop (usually true early Saturday morning) Iā€™m always happy to help out. If Iā€™m not around a laptop all I can offer is emotional support and suggestions on how to work around problems

6 Likes

No problem at all. I was just throwing that out there as an unusual circumstance that you might not have encountered.

All good and understood! What is your preferred way to reach you if something like this happens? Msg here? Email?

Email to play@matchplay.events generally works the best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now that I know you offer emotional supportā€¦

2 Likes

:sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

3 Likes

Seems like the players at a disadvantage when thereā€™s a break are whoever starts in the queue after the break just like starting in the queue at the beginning. In both cases those players have to wait for a game to finish, but all games are just starting. Itā€™s the worse case scenario of expected wait time.

I had a Group match play event yesterday with 15 players using IFPA scoring. One of the players left and I forgot to deactivate them prior to starting the next round. That player was assigned to a 3 player group which meant the group was now just 2 players with the other groups having 4. I just let the 2 player group be which meant points would be awarded 7/4 which was unfair but I didnā€™t know if I had a better option. I wasnā€™t sure if I could deactivate the player and redraw the round with 14 players like I should of done?

Thanks

Yep. Do this next time. Delete the current round then redraw with the player deactivated

1 Like

Ah, so its possible to delete the current round, deactivate player and redraw?

yep. I do it all the time haha. i use matchplay to run groups for an offline league. We always have last minute cancellations after I have already ran that months groups.

1 Like