Instructions for the "earplug mod"

Is there a good instructional video for how to setup the “earplug mod” that seems to be common at tournaments

3 Likes

For those that just want to do the mod, and trust what they’ve heard of the benefits without watching the film (though the video is VERY good!), here’s the TL;DW:

• Get a standard cheap-as-you-can find foam ear plug
  • Roll it length-wise in your fingers to compress it.
  • Insert the compressed ear plug into the hole in the bracket from which the tilt bob stick hangs.
  • Allow ear plug to expand.
  • Adjust the tilt bob sensitivity as needed (typically need to make the tilt bob “tighter”)
  • If the compressed ear plug was too big for the bracket hole, then use a knife to cut the ear plug in half, length-wise.
  • For some Gottlieb/Premier, with no hole in the bracket, you can also insert the ear plug into the hole of the “shepherd’s crook” of the tilt bob stick.

Enjoy much less wait time between balls!

4 Likes

I’d like to dampen the tilt on Joker Poker. The tilt bob bar is only vertical (no hook) and hangs down through a hole in the roll tilt assembly. Any advice?

I don’t know of any way to dampen the tilt on this era of gottlieb or system 80b games.

2 Likes

if you really want to, you just need to change the tilt assy with one of those:
Pinball Life: Tilt Switch Assembly

2 Likes

This is what I’m doing. Got the assemblies, but haven’t swapped them in yet.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. From that picture, I guess they really like tight tilts over there at Pinball Life.

1 Like

You could try inverting the tilt bob. With the heavy end at the top it should slow quicker

giphy

1 Like

Downside (or an upside from some perspectives, I guess) is that the game permatilts when the bob eventually slips.

2 Likes

Some modern Stern’s will actually mid game ignore a tilt bob if if becomes stuck

at least more obvious than when it falls off and people start shaking game like crazy without TD realizing :smiley:

1 Like

I mean, I’d never admit to “missing tilt bob” being one of my favorite criteria on picking games at league…

1 Like