INDISC @ Arcade Expo!

It’s been as great to participate in as it looked online. Karl and Jim did an amazing job on the games and the arcadeexpo location has been an awesome improvement over the previous years, and I have no doubt that next year will be even better. What a luxury to have folks that put on such great events and such a great location in which to hold them. Can’t thank them enough for the hard work and dedication.

2 Likes

Anyone know what time the stream starts today?

The finals start at 11am PST, so probably right around then.

Brilliant commentary by Karl and Johnny. Hats off.

Also nice to see the developement of the broadcast system with the best game metadata and more.

1 Like

I also thought the player photos and and ticker info is really cool.

Shame about the cameras provided by the museum though. Will we see any improvement in that today?

Thank you Karl, Jim, and everyone else involved for organizing and running a great tournament. This was my first non-local tournament, and it was an enjoyable introduction to this level of play.

4 Likes

This whole tourney looked AMAZING from what I saw from pictures and the Twitch stream. From the organization, to the quality condition of pins, to the overhead monitors above EVERY pin, to the groundbreaking Twitch stream format that contained pertinent match scores / qualifying position / player info … WOW! So impressed.

I’ve got to try to get the kitchen pass to travel to INDISC next year.

1 Like

Agree with everything Tim said.

The games were set up to perfection. One good save without tilting was the feeling I took away from it. (Well, maybe DM was a bit tight…or it could have been me sucking too…)

I think Karl & Jim & Co has taken tournament pinball to the next level with the screens above each game. It was so easy to follow along, and checking out other player’s strategy without having to hover above anyone’s shoulders.

Congrats to Keith and Damien for winning, and to the organizers for putting on a great tournament with a bunch of machines that we rarely get to play in a competitive setting. Well done!

2 Likes

Heh, I was able to participate. I just needed to remind my boss a few days prior. Seems she simply forgot, is all.

This was definitely the best It Never Drains I’ve been in. The only complaint I would have is that the exposure on the cameras is too low. Every playfield looked dark and dimly lit, when in person, they were quite bright. But it was VERY nice to be able to show what each person was doing to anyone watching. I was actually enjoying spectating for once because of it.

1 Like

Just finished watching the full finals stream–thanks for putting that up. You need to train the backup producers a bit more: the audio on Tim was hot for hours, and he was too far from the telestrator and kept having to reach across @Sanjay to make his point. The integration with the DTM software was slick. The only extra bit of info that would’ve been nice was the commentator names.

One request: more Bob Matthews on commentary, please. He does an excellent job of simply talking about stuff all the time, and keeping on top of the gamestate and the tournament situation in ways others don’t, plus he knows the rules to the games. @Sanjay and Tim were both good, but they didn’t complement each other that well: they didn’t have that PBP/color type synergy you want in a 'cast. I think they’d both have complemented Bob better, as he contrasts their more casual style. Can I suggest pulling up the rule-sheet on older games when you don’t know what’s going on, guys?

(@keefer /@bkerins/@FunWithBonus are also good at the same thing, but Bob’s only done a few streams, so I wanted to send him props. If he’s on here, good job Bob!)

Thanks to @kdeangelo for setting up all the stuff for the stream to bring it to those of us far from the fun… (And to the organisers, i.e. @kdeangelo and Jim Belsito)

1 Like

Thanks! I enjoy doing the play-by-play [but like everyone else, would prefer even more to still be playing!]. I really liked sharing the booth with Steven; I think we’ve done that once before, maybe at Expo. I wouldn’t mind calling the PAPA “A” final four with him in April if neither of us makes it that far.

BTW, thanks also go to Brent and Laura Stoddard. Karl and Jim do the lion’s share of the work, but Brent, Laura and I give them a hand with things, e.g. set-up and tear-down. Also, Raymond was nice enough to hang around for a while to pitch in.

1 Like