IFPA14 Discussion (was session #1 groups)

Yes

no way to see the current groupings?

I think they only add after it is completed unfortunately :S

1 Like

So when the dust settles tomorrow, Zach will still be ranked #1, KME will be 5th, Jorian 6th, but 2nd-3rd-4th between Cayle, Daniele and Raymond is totally up for grabs. Worth noting that the 4 highest-ranked players in attendance are all in the final 8, and the 5th-highest, Jorian, only missed out because he had to play Daniele in the round of 16.

I watched a good chunk of the stream [including some in the middle of the night my time], enjoyed it. Too bad
I canā€™t tape-delay watching the last 3 rounds before I find out what happens.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a WPPR summary of the week so far. Zach, DNO and Mats can still get anywhere from 45 to 130 tomorrow in the IFPA playoffs, but have little or nothing so far.

1 Like

Congrats to The Champion Over There.

4 Likes

Re: The broadcast. Thanks for the excellent video quality, and to Colin for great commentary.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.
Getting to call some great games of pinball with Greg (and later, Levi and Zen as well) helped make up for my week of playing sub-par pinball.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious as to what criteria is used to choose which players qualify / are eligible?

Rules governing how to qualify for the tourney, and how you qualify for the final bracket phase are all here:

ā€œThe rest of the field will be made up of the most highly ranked players from the WPPR list. For players that cannot attend, spots will be filled by going down the rankings list.ā€

But that doesnā€™t seem to be the case

it is, several people just cannot travel to the tournament so it goes down the list based on who can attend or not, in WPPR Ranking order.

I am higher ranked than others who attended, and was not offered a place.
Those players were not filling country specific spots.

Obviously I havenā€™t bothered contacting all of the players who are ranked above me to see whether they had been offered a place or whether they jad been skipped over

Which players specifically?

Are you assuming ranking locked on January 1st 2017? That is the cut off for the IFPA invite, @pinwizj can surely provide more accurate information :slight_smile:

I dug out the page from back in January with the list and people attendingā€¦
https://www.ifpapinball.com/world_championships/registration/

1 Like

There are 2 players who recieved ā€œat-largeā€ spots in the tournament who are now lower ranked than Wayne. Both of those players lost a lot of points when the superleague results were changed sometime in early 2017.

Wayne - I show you ranked 449th on 1/1/17. The lowest at large player in the field even after all the cancellations leading up to IFPA14 was Frederick Asher at Rank #74.

Iā€™m assuming that you checked out the results on our site and compared your rank today to the rank of both Eric and Frederick Asher?

@timballs got this correctly. Both Asherā€™s got destroyed in the super league nuke, but that had no impact on IFPA14 qualifying.

3 Likes

In the tiebreak for cutoff, did scores affect seeding? Brian interrupted my third ball by saying I can stop and that the score doesnā€™t matter anymore. This is also in line with the rules. But the commentators on the stream predicted correctly that Tatsunori would face Eric Stone seemingly based on his performance in the tiebreak.

Thanks for clarifying.
I actually looked at the statistics tab which shows my ranking for last year as 318. - I thought that that was the figure used in the calculations.

I was just surprised that some of the players from the UK who are higher ranked than me werenā€™t present, but maybe they were invited and chose not to attend.

On a separate note I noticed that the correlation between eff %ge and final position, as well as rating and final position was much stronger than ranking and final position.

No it did not. Tiebreakers are only played to determine elimination or not.

The non-bubble tie breaking procedure was used to then seed those players appropriately.