How do I calculate TGP for "flip frenzy" format?

Hi,
If I run a Flip Frenzy (pinball pinball pinball) tournament format, how do I compute the TGP when entering the results on IFPA dashboard?

“Flip Frenzy formats, also referred to as Pinball! Pinball! Pinball! format will graded based on the AVERAGE number of matches played by all players in the field. The IFPA recommends using MatchPlay Events software for this format. The software automatically calculates this average for IFPA submission purposes. This updated grading will NOT be retroactively calculated for events prior to 1/1/19.”

Hey thx for the quick reply pinwizj. I ran a mock tourney in matchplay and am looking through the IFPA results. I see the games played in the standing section. How do I convert this to TGP? Or, is the TGP calculation right in the matchplay results somewhere that I am not seeing? I know when I submit to the dashboard, I need to enter TGP so I am trying to figure out how to do this…

Average games played divided by 25 is your TGP %

I also include a Matchplay link with my submissions to help clear up any confusion.

1 Like

average games played per person? So if the average is 25 games per person, then it would be 1%? Seems low? Could it maybe be TOTAL games played / 25? So if average is 30 games * 30 players then TGP would be (30*30)/25 = 36%?

Excellent pro-tip here.

Matchplay has total average games across everyone calculated. Take that over 25 for your percentage.

20 games played on average by each player / 25

That is 80%

Example standings from a flip frenzy. See the average number at the bottom? Use that over 25 to get your percentage. 5.3 in this case.

Ok thank you Chuckwurt. I do see it now on the standings tab. So, when I am submitting the results into the IFPA dashboard I forget exactly what info it asks me for. But, I seem to remember entering TGP. From the example you show above, what info would you enter into the IFPA results submission?
All of your help is much appreciated. We have been running quite a bit over on our tournies and would like to have a set end time (they are monday evenings). So, we are thinking about trying this format for our next tournament. Hopefully the points do not get cut down too much with this fomrat vs our. group knockout 3 strikes format we have been using.

With the new knockout TGP rules I’m sure that got knocked down too. Haha.

So in my example you take 5/25 = 20%

In your submission it asks for TGP (the numerator in your equation), so 5. They will calculate the percent for you.

The more detail you put in your comments the better and put the Matchplay link to your event for good measure.

1 Like

ok great that clears it up! thx again. Seems like the TGP % will be reasonable…

I think you get it now, but to clarify, 25/25 is 1.0 which is the equivalent of 100%. 20/25 is 0.8 or 80%.

2 Likes

yep I get it now. was off a few decimal places in my first calculation! thx again!

Hey so just an update. We ran our tournament last night and it went smooth as silk using the matchplay SW and it was fun! BUT, now I am not seeing the average games per player listed anywhere. I calculated 17 TGP manually, but I thought I saw this info on the event last week when we were discussing this. Am I missing something?
See event link here: https://matchplay.events/app/tournaments/32281

1 Like

Correct link: https://matchplay.events/live/n56nj

1 Like

is this your tournament? https://matchplay.events/live/n56nj/standings

see the last row: 17.3

Need to look at the Matchplay live link. IE the page that all the players see. Not the organizer page. Under the standing tab it will show you. Direct links to this above.

Doh! I’m still learning! LOL. What is that quote? Pinball is hard. Or something?
Thanks again!
TJ

4 Likes

Was looking at some prior TGP values for flip frenzies and came across something interesting. @pinwizj

Both these events were from the 2018 Brisbane masters. As you can tell, one has 1/3 the TGP of the other, yet all the values in the WPPR snapshot are increased. I wouldn’t expect the avg. number of games played per player radically different.

Becker or Luke can confirm but I believe we made some 1/3rd adjustments due to there being some activity where players agreed to play one-ball matches to speed up the number of matches played.

2 Likes