Hammering the Action button. Is this the trend now?

Played SW LE last night. I do enjoy the game a lot. But I’d like it more without the Action button. I can only imagine new players would too. If there was something on the play field more clear to tell players when to hit the action button, I’m sure it would help people.

Saw a guy hit Tie Fighter hurry up, had no idea what to do. I explained shortly after. His words, “that’s stupid”. I really think he was turned off. This guy was a good player, good control…but no clue on the rules. To me, it seemed like a major disadvantage for him, but I thought the guy was a great player. He played WAY longer than I did, but my score crushed him, only because I knew a few more of the rules.

The best players can play and know the rules. But some of these deeper games don’t make the rules clear for the new players (or others). Kind of makes miss the days of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

5 Likes

This has always seemed like a good thing to me.

1 Like

You can bring an experienced player up to speed fairly quickly if they’ve played GOT before. Qualify each color mode (while pointing at shot and corresponding playfield inserts for each color) by shooting three times. Complete three modes to qualify MB. ‘Free’ modes are already lit, don’t have to play. Try to stack modes.

The button mash mode is pretty self explanatory once you watch it once or twice.

I’m really happy that Stern, JJP and others are in a position where they can sell games that are this deep. The evolution of pinball software in the last five or six years has been amazing. It’s a great time to be a player IMO. You’re doing an awesome job, guys. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

@pinwizj and I have a healthy debate about the Action button on my latest Pinball Profile. Have a listen:
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-82-josh-sharpe-again-sorry_116326

Love seeing @sk8ball’s games being so awesome without need for action button smashing (and that he doesn’t like it either)…thanks Keith! #OneForTheOldGuys

3 Likes

Funny though, I’ve been seeing people smashing the button on JP when it temporarily blinks (just during multiball?). Seems to just be part of the light show but it’s making people feel like

stimpy

3 Likes

Or the number of times I smacked the button on Munsters because it’s lit solidly when it’s not lit for anything. :joy:

Demoman had fun the tiggers and it was not hammering them.

I think it (and Star Wars) light when there’s a ball in the shooter lane, even when it will be auto plunged a second later

1 Like

The goat race button mash video mode isn’t in yet :wink:

15 Likes

That would legit be awesome.

Mash the button with your ballcap like it’s 1985 and you’re playing Track 'N Field to make your goat win the race (losers get eaten by the V-raptors)!

I double-dare you… :rofl: