Hammering the Action button. Is this the trend now?

I think moving multipliers around while you’re waiting for an inlane feed is very stimulating. It ratchets up the action on what would otherwise be an ordinary safe return.

My only thing with star wars is how the multipliers get fiddled with when you’re killing tiefighters or hitting addaball. Not sure if all those things can really be happening at once, but sometimes during multiball the situation with the action button really seems to be melting down. Probably this can be solved by playing better. Very frenetic. Love watching this stuff happen to somebody else.

What a let down. Unsubscribing now… :wink:

1 Like

I for one just wanna know when the Demo Man trigger handles are coming back. Two action buttons just for your thumbs.

3 Likes

Many a videogame has been ruined with unnecessary QTEs… one particular Need for Speed title comes to mind that forced you to play thru some kind of story via QTEs between races. Don’t go too overboard with these things :wink: The SW multiplier was a good use of the button IMHO, since it’s integrated directly with gameplay.

I guess maybe QTE was technically the wrong terminology, or at least it doesn’t translate directly. I’m thinking of things like add-a-ball from GOT or the Gollum ballsaver. Perhaps the latter is exactly like a QTE, not sure what you call the former.

IMO SW would’ve been better if you held it to move with flippers then it locked back in when you let go since there’s seemingly no benefit to leaving them off?

1 Like

I really wish the off state was beneficial. I had originally assumed that it would only grow when off. That way you needed to really focus on when you use it. Or even if the timeout was half speed when off or something.

5 Likes

Either only growing when off, or not counting down when off would have been really nice.

3 Likes

Keef: yes, those definitely aren’t the annoying-type QTEs I’m thinking of. In the NFS example, I was settled down with a Logitech wheel in my lap ready to race, but found the game was wanting me to press controller buttons at specific intervals to advance through some footchase scene setting up the story. Took 15 minutes to figure out where all the damn buttons were on the wheel and successfully finish the QTE before the actual racing started. Total distraction and waste of time.

WRT pinball, I wouldn’t consider anything that directly interacts with the actual pinball game in progress to be a QTE. OTOH, video modes during pinball games are QTEs as far as I’m concerned :slight_smile:

How about multiple action buttons!!!

Riverboat gambler FTW!

2 Likes

I really liked that idea when I first read it. Then I thought about it. That would require two hands to move your multiplier. Couldn’t keep a ball cradled on one side. As-is, you can do it all with one hand. Very useful when you have video mode lit, a ball cradled and your multiplier is in the wrong place.

I can’t imagine a scenario where I would prefer the multipliers off. Playing as R2D2 and taking the 3x multiplier skill shot, you start your ball with 7x multiplier. Start any multiball, let balls drain while ball saver is running and you’re up to 20x in no time. No way I’m turning them off.

Forgot to mention earlier that I don’t like that you can start (or restart?) a game with the button by default. I see noobs all time that put in 4 quarters and expect a ball in the shooter lane. Something on the display should direct them to the start button, not the lockbar button. I know you can turn it off, but it should be off by default IMO.

1 Like

Hit the buttons in time with the music as you play for big points! So much action!

2 Likes

Add a video mode. Left and right flipper buttons change aim, action button fires. Destroy the Dutchman! :wink:

…I feel so manipulated! :wink:

There is a mod opportunity here to move that dang lockdown bar button to a side button next to the flipper button (where it belongs), or how about a foot pedal? :slight_smile:

…on a JJP game with the camera you could just blink really fast to press the button. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bashing. There is also Corvette, right. And several video modes.

I’m not afraid to use my chin to push a button, when needed.

ST Vengence MB. Ball cradled on each flipper, chin torpedoes until only one shot left, backhand left ramp (for 2x shot multiplier), shoot ship for 10m. Easy money.

3 Likes

In SW if I’ve got a ball on each flipper, I just use my knee if I need to move the multipliers around

1 Like

Next code update requires you to dance the TIE Fighters away and there’s a DDR pad you stand on while playing.

6 Likes

I recently used my chin for this reason.

1 Like

You that use your chins, are you aware that with double cradled balls you can move to one side, twist one of your arms, and use that elbow?

2 Likes