Feedback on Pin Masters?

You need to come with a stronger Sean William Scott reference than that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cRXBuXAUG4

EDIT: Not safe for work, at all.

1 Like

The Eden slam is at http://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/b/642319073, 6:28:35. He slams the glass and immediately realizes what he’s done, then you get the really clear Tim meltdown about a minute later.

1 Like

All that said I agree with Bowen that this is something that is worth a warning, and apparently (as pointed out in the first link) he did have to take someone to the hospital over it once so his cause for concern is genuine. The one on Noah was ridiculous though, he didn’t do anything at all but there was just no talking to the guy about it.

Jack the golfer.
And wasn’t there a windshield incident involving Jack?

2 Likes

I love the idea of having half the field move on to the final round(s) and the bottom half to start over from scratch.
Also agree with Bowen in his praise of Karl, PHOF and the IFPA for making it possible.

In regards to the situation where a player isn’t ready to play, I would assume that if a player has to go to the bathroom and has informed his teammates about it, there’s no problem. The situation at hand seemed to be of another type from where I was sitting. If a player is not ready to play repeatedly, I think a dq is an appropriate way of rewarding his indifference to others around him.

I appreciate that his metaphors pertained to golfing and he stuck with the theme!

1 Like

This is what we did (and still do) at the New England Pinball Championship. It’s match play, 9 games, and after the 9 games there is an A/B cutoff (winning record or losing?) and the B players get reset to 0-0.

That “wipe” was then incorporated into Pinburgh for the lowest division. We thought about resetting every division, but there are big problems, notably that some players are “restricted” to divisions – wiping would essentially make their first day meaningless. Also, the middle divisions (B, now B and C) are typically closely packed enough that one can move from the bottom to the top in time.

1 Like

I don’t know why…but this seemed appropriate.

Alright Pinside II

4 Likes

We need Jack Nicholson golfer T-shirts for next PinGolf event

Design I created for our weekly pingolf league between NEPL sessions. Should start requiring golf attire! Would be entertaining.

Tim’s blow up at me was in reference to the nudge/slapsave I made at 24:55 -

www.twitch.tv/iepinball/b/643200280

The meltdown is 2 minutes after that.

He came up and got in my face/blew up at me for punching the glass. Might be time to upgrade that headlamp :slight_smile:

Other than that and the Tron thing, I thought the event was really great. Solid amount of pinball for the dollar. Good mix of games with good/tough target scores. I guess i would have preferred the first group start at noon and the 2nd be scheduled for 4pm, but that’s a minor gripe.

Oh and Rock Star . . .nothing positive to say about that game.

1 Like

Honest question — is that type of save really considered unreasonable/bad form, or is more of an operator thing? I always want to respect machines on location, but totally assumed that this is exactly the kind of play they’re built to withstand.

(Asking as a guy who makes this type of save on location on the reg)

If you had this, you could have called him on his analogy.

That move on Metallica was perfectly reasonable and didn’t even tilt on a fairly tight setting. Tim was out of line to get in your face for that. Not everything that makes a loud sound is machine abuse. At that point he was already heated from 3 days of competition with plenty of rage tilts, expletive shouting, Tron slides and glass smacking, so any loud sound was going to set him off.

Personally, I know I slid Tron farther than intended on Thursday and Friday before the tilt was adjusted. Part of that was the fact that the games are on a slick concrete floor. More often than not, I’m playing on carpet, so a slide on a smooth floor will usually move more than I expect it to. A possible solution would be to use the rubber pucks to keep games in place.

Sal was doing a good job trying to keep everyone informed about behavior and Tim being ready to shut it down. Most players took his warning and adjusted, but it really shouldn’t even have to come down to that. When you’re playing games that belong to someone else, treat them with respect. Got screwed on a shot or something didn’t go your way? Tough shit! Deal with it and move on. Slaps, slides, nudges, etc during gameplay need to be policed by the tilt bob. Nothing else is going to get players to ease up quicker than knowing the game has a tight tilt. You didn’t see anyone throwing AFM around because it was really tight, but still very playable. The airballs off the saucer gate made things pretty interesting though.

The big question… If Tim actually did shut it all down, would we have gotten refunds? There was a time on Saturday night, I was playing a game over by his workshop and he was going on and on about pulling the plug and how he hates all this “pinball as a sport bullshit”, etc. I really thought he was about to call it off.

Final thought… Old Chicago is a trash game.

I don’t blame the players for the moves on Tron, I blame the setup of the tilt bob.

The move on Metallica looked legit to me as he tried to save the ball…

Im not familiar with anyone hitting the glass on the game during the competition, but i wasnt there and didnt see any on parts of the stream ive watched.

I’m not sure how formal this event was between IFPA and PHOF but it seems like either a new location needs to be chosen or a contract in place for next event. If the owner can simply closed down a huge event like this, it doesn’t bold well for the IFPA/participants.

Some further thoughts on the the event…

The good

• It’s always fun playing in groups where the group members aren’t your only competition. There was a lot of strategy talk and tips on how the machines were playing. Legitimately helping out and rooting for the players in your group really adds something genuine to the experience.
  • Loved the difficult target scores and score ranges for 6-10. Really awards those who get it done quick, but doesn’t hurt so bad if you just miss the target, getting a 6 rather than a 10.
  • Solid value for the money. 18 games doesn’t sound like that much, but when you’re in 4 player games, playing 5 balls on most of them, you’re in “competition mode” for a long time.
  • Video broadcast was spectacular. Much thanks to @kdeangelo for all the hard work and all his time doing commentary along with the others who assisted throughout. I really enjoyed Dave’s commentary during finals on Sunday.
  • Rulings were fair, and the adjustments made when necessary (EATPM single player, Old Chicago player 2 and Tron Saturday tilt setting) were all good moves and fixed active issues as well as possible.
  • The IFPA crew did a great job setting up the games and doing their best to make them tournament ready. When I arrived on Wednesday and played some games from the initial list (Firepower, BDK, MM) I was seriously bummed because they were barely playable, and definitely not ready for competition.

The bad

• The actual tournament area was very tight and was a challenge to be in such an enclosed space for 5 hours at a time. Given the setup of the PHOF and the needs of the video equipment, I don’t know how else it could have been done, but it was pretty cramped and uncomfortable.
  • I felt bad for the late group on Friday since our early group played longer than expected. I heard some groups were still playing after 1am. That’s really not what anyone would expect when signing up for a 6pm start. Tee times of Noon and 5pm would make more sense.
  • This has been discussed, but there needs to be a better rule enforced for players who wander off unannounced. I’m sure they’d stay put if their ball got plunged.
  • I’d like to see fewer single player games, as taking turns adds something to this format. By the end, we had 5 single player games and 4 multiplayer games. There were good reasons for Count-Down, Old Chicago and EATPM being single player, but in the future it would be cooler to keep it to 2 or 3 single player machines of the 9.
  • Superbands. I realize they’re useful for a location like the PHOF where games are just getting played constantly, but I still don’t think “Superbands on everything!” is good for tournament lineups. If I recall, they weren’t on the EMs, but all the modern games had them. I’m really not sure if this was a TD decision or they were just already on there (probably the latter), but swapping for regular rubbers would have probably been preferred by just about everyone.

Thanks to all who helped make the whole weekend happen. It was a lot of fun!

1 Like

Nothing formal at all besides my personal relationship with Tim of him begging us to come back to the PHOF to run a ‘big’ event, and me letting him know that the timing hasn’t worked out (after running IFPA5 out there, and the first Pin-Masters a few years later).

Personally knowing Tim as well as I do, his bark is much louder than his bite. My actual worry level that he was going to pull the plug on the entire thing was 0%.

We’re committed to doing this again at his place next year since the Amusement Expo is signed up to be back in Vegas. Current schedule per the website would make Nationals on Thursday, 3/17, and Pin-Masters the weekend of 3/18-3/20.

I already know that 2017 we will NOT be in Vegas for the trade show. Plans are to move to Dallas for at least that year from talking to the Amusement Expo staff. This would give us the opportunity to tie Nationals and potentially the IFPA Pin-Masters into the Texas Pinball Festival weekend. At that point the Tim rants will be minimal :smile:

If you remember the area by the popcorn machine, we were actually supposed to get that entire space stretching down to there (I would say another 50% worth of space from what we had). Unfortunately someone at the PHOF booked a birthday party for Saturday afternoon, so Tim shortened the amount of space available to us. Tim had put up some tarp that marked where our area ended, but Karl and I secretly moved the tarp back about 6 feet to give us a littttttle more space, and Tim totally didn’t know :smile:

Definitely the latter with respect to the Superbands :smile:

Thanks for the feedback! We’re definitely keeping a list of notes handy for when we start organizing for 2016.

1 Like