Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

Yeah, you may have gotten a special value.

Can you post exactly what you did so I can try and duplicate it on mine, or at least so I can look in the code to see if itā€™s a bug? Dip settings, etc.

My grid only resets on the next ball, but some combo of settings might induce it. Sounds bad if it does!! I have extra balls and specials set on (and 7 digit code, but that wouldnā€™t affect the grid, thatā€™s back end stuff)

If this doesnā€™t explain, maybe I can make a video? I took the glass off, knocked down all 9 targets to max the grid, the grid reset, I knocked down all 9 targets again to max the grid and it awarded some points (for special) and cleared the grid. I then locked in mismatching rows and it did not clear the grid and it was not possible to clear the grid on that ball. I then tried a full grid with no matching rows and was able to change all symbols to match upon which time the grid cleared and points (for special) were collected. I can take a pic of my dip switch settings also, but not before I get back to the location monday.

Edit: just looked at the manual again, it must be awarding the points for Special when the grid is maxed a second time. The Mystic Novelty setting is either replay specials everywhere, extra balls everywhere or points everywhere. It would be nice if you could turn off specials and keep EBs.

So youā€™d want specials to pay the points, but leave the extra balls on, right? That seems to be a common error thing in early bally games, the lack of granular control over awards like this. But it was early days and easy enough to fix :slight_smile:

You cleared the grid with all the same symbol? Iā€™ll try this later today and see what I get. Itā€™s very possible that Iā€™m misrembering what happens. Iā€™m usually happy to get the 72 and double/triple knocks. I know Iā€™ve got the reconstituted source code for Mystic laying around somewhere and can make the extra ball mod relatively quicklyā€¦ can you test?

That all matches my testing. I can check settings on mine.

Happy to test but I donā€™t have a rom burner so Iā€™d have to order one or have someone do me a favor. I really should have a rom burner though, if you have recommendations on something inexpensive lmk.

Minipro866CS (you have to look specifically for this version, it was replaced by the 866II, which will not burn above 16volts which many of the early eproms need, i.e. 2732 for this era machine).

I have to apologize too as the behavior is exactly as you were describing, I had some kind of brain fart and forgot that the matrix will clear the first time. I donā€™t think itā€™s a bug though, since you donā€™t get any score for it, but you have banked the 72. I can see where it might be a bit unfair since if you had the 63 lit for instance youā€™d get the symbols on the matrix, AND the additional 63k, which you get screwed out of if you get the 72.

I could easily make it give you the 27,000 you would get for having the full matrix completed, although having it multiplied might not be a good variant? I mean, itā€™s ā€œfairā€ but I donā€™t know because itā€™s a large-ish change to the gameā€¦ thoughts?

I think this is the best way to start a decent amount of time of double trouble 2x scoring on Scared Stiff as you enter the wizard mode:
-Save the monsterā€™s lab (jets) as your last tale to complete, but have it close to being finished.
-Start double trouble off the spider wheel.
-Shoot the loop to get the last jets you need to complete the Monsterā€™s Lab tale.
-Start Scared Stiff wizard mode.
Iā€™m wondering if the double trouble timer runs during the wizard mode animation and pre-talking (just like the 5x timer continues to run during WH2O multiball start), or if it freezes.

2 Likes

Want to play a BONUS wheel mode during trip multiball? You can!
-Have bonus mode ready to go at the mini metal ramp.
-Timing is tricky here, but if you hit the mini ramp to start BONUS round and collect the vowel needed to light the ā€œsolve puzzleā€ light on the same shot, BONUS round will start, and the solve puzzle light will come on.
-Hit that mini ramp again during BONUS round to start trip multiball to stack them together (if trip is in the prize bank of the selected contestant, or if the puzzle is the flashing prize puzzle).
The timing must be right to make that vowel collect the one that gets the solve puzzle light to light, but this is a fun one to take advantage of! I like doing this a lot.

3 Likes

Want to play a BONUS wheel mode during TWO STACKED trip multiballs ? You can!
First, Follow Andreiā€™s steps above for your first puzzle.
Then, once the first puzzle has been solved and the first trip MB starts, shoot the left Wild Card shot to collect your second wild card, which will be ā€œSolve Puzzleā€. If you are in tournament mode, the second puzzle always awards a trip MB, so a second trip MB will now start when you hit the mini ramp! Depending on where your trip JPs are, some shots will award both trip JPs at once (and they can be double and quadrupled, too. (As an aside, Is there a better call out in all of pinball than Mariaā€™s quadruple super jackpot scream during her trip MB ?)).

I would also note that there is nothing keeping you from stacking the normal MB in with all of this. In pre-6.0 code, it was easier because you could stack regular MB in after Trip MB started by completing the green targets, but from 6.0 on, the green targets are used for an extremely difficult add-a-ball, so if you donā€™t have regular MB ready when you start Trip, you are locked out of the stack. However, if you have regular MB ready to go at the start of Andreiā€™s instructions, you can play both AND a bonus mode, and bring in the second Trip.

And, If your BONUS mode happens to be Wheel Frenzy during all of this and you fail to score at least 100 million on the triple stack then you are definitely doing something wrong, lol!

7 Likes

Big Buck Hunter:

The stand up target for the Bird shot is a ā€œminorā€ switch that will not automatically qualify the playfield. It will make the ā€œshoot againā€ light start blinking, but not actually qualify the playfield. So you can short plunge and hit that Bird target enough times to start a multiball before having a valid playfield, provided you can control the return from it without hitting a sling or inlane.

8 Likes

@cayle we need a gif for your reaction hearing this information

3 Likes

7 Likes

Sorry if thatā€™s slow to load. Bad at making gifs

5 Likes

[Not sure this one is deep, but itā€™s clear a bunch of people donā€™t know about itā€¦]

On Getaway, after you lock a ball, the Speed Millions light will be blinking quickly and expiring soon. Launch as quickly as you can when the ball enters the shooter lane to pick up free RPMs before the light goes out.

Even less deep: If Iā€™m one or two lights away from having a lock ready (first MB only?), Iā€™ll at least consider shooting the left ramp to spot them.

First MB only on default settings.

not only does it stay active during the multiball (whereas all other modes pause), but if i recall correctly, it never times out either. the mode will continue to run as long as your multiball is still going. thatā€™s why you can rack up silly points by combining the two.

2 Likes

Beatles: during All My Lovin MB, if youā€™ve lit the jackpot, and you drain a ball during ball-save, you can manually plunge the saved ball, and it will collect your jackpot at the top magnet. But if you arenā€™t quick enough, and let the ball auto-launch, it will not collect the jackpot.

5 Likes

Mousinā€™ Around:

Itā€™s well known that if you make the right ramp or left ramp twice and then shoot the far right target, you get 15 seconds of double scoring. The most common application of this is using it on the Million spell-out to award 2 million instead of 1 million. But did you know that you can also use double scoring to double the Multiball Jackpot value?

If you shoot the right trap (ONLY the right trap) first during Multiball, it will lower and allow you to make the target behind it. Shoot the right ramp (or left ramp!) twice while the left trap is still raised and then make the target to start double scoring. Then, shoot the left trap, and make the right ramp again to collect your double Jackpot for up to 10 million points!

If anything is done out of sequence youā€™ll miss the chance to score your double Jackpot. Double scoring canā€™t be started when the Jackpot is lit because itā€™s scored at the right ramp; however, if youā€™re able to shoot the left ramp twice, it can be done. Good luckā€¦

Itā€™s a fairly specific sequence to master but once you have it down, you can easily score tons of points during Multiball. Just remember to max out your Jackpot value by completing CHEESE enough times.

15 Likes

iirc, isnā€™t it two ramps in a row, then target for 2x? (not 1 ramp)

Deep cut here is that you can actually shoot the left ramp twice in a row (in or out of multiball) then the target to start 2X.

2 Likes