Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

Doesn’t the card reset when you fill in all 9 inserts, regardless of whether the symbols match? This would mean max possible bonus is (72k + 3k x 8 inserts) x 4 bonus X = 384k.

No, it only resets when they all match. By not resetting if they don’t match, you have the opportunity to convert any mixed verticals to matching. It may reset if you match just the verticals, I’d have to check that, but if there’s any vertical that isn’t a set, it won’t reset the card.

Ah, right. It’s been a while. :slight_smile:

I think that’s a setting. Once you fill a card with any combination of symbols you’ll get a new card. Pretty sure that’s how it works at the one on location by me.

they show up in the full menu as well (left over debug or other code from the last games that the code is based on?)

On Star Trek the Next Generation the only mode that will stay active during Borg multiball is Q. If you already played Q, you can still start it a second time through command decision as a rerun. Lots of points will follow with minimum effort.

6 Likes

I couldn’t find that setting in the manual, just whether or not the card progress carriers over ball to ball (which of course could just be wrong in the manual).

But I have confirmed the following (with the settings on my game):

1. Cards full with mixed symbols do not reset, and you can continue changing the lit symbol as long as the column isn’t a full match (at which point the symbol goes out and the arrow lights for 2k/drop).

2. If all three columns are matches, but not all three the same (2 pyramid columns, 1 eye column), you get locked out of progressing bonus. The card will not reset, items on the board will not change (all lit for 2k/drop), and you cannot gain more super bonus.

How’s that for a deep cut on a game you’re probably never going to play in a tournament? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good info and Mystic gets used in tournaments all the time!

2 Likes

@pinbwzrd had it in INDISC if i recal right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep!

Awesome! I’ve only seen 1 other copy, and it was unplayable.

Not only in tourneys, but in Italy, they apparently think Mystic isn’t already difficult enough. smh

5 Likes

On Eight Ball Deluxe, play as players 2 or 4, there’s a bug in the factory software where it counts an extra bonus step for the 8 ball on racks 2 and beyond (63,000 per rack instead of 56,000)
Doesn’t happen for players 1 and 3. Bugfixed rom available on ipdb.

3 Likes

We play Mystic every week in the Kickback weekly. Playfield resets every ball, but line bonuses remain. Is this the normal setting, or the difficult setting? Used to play one that didn’t reset the playfield. Either that was easy setting or this is the hard setting :slight_smile:

The “super bonus” holding over for lanes completed is a game feature and not a setting. There is a setting for lit pyramids or eyes to carry across balls but that’s about it.

I also think completing the grid, once super bonus is maxed, resets the grid, so Colin is correct about the maximum collectible bonus. The grid will never reset so long as the super bonus is not maxed though, since lines could still be completed to advance them. In the @aobrien5 example above, bonus has not yet been maxed. Once that light is at 72, the grid clears once all targets have been collected regardless which item they were lit for.

I love Mystic. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was wrong, just checked and the grid seems to stay even at max bonus, as long as you don’t complete it. If you do complete it, it collects all the lines and then resets the grid to start filling in again. In addition, if you lock in one line of pyramids, then fill in the rest of the grid with eyes, it will not collect and you are unable to clear it during the ball in play and will get those points only in bonus.

I think the proper strategy is to try and avoid locking in a line and instead finishing the entire grid to collect the 72k with the ball still in play. It will not be multiplied by the multiplier however, you will only get the 3k per target. Or just shoot for spinners and stars if they’re scoring well.

2 Likes

Whenever the grid is filled completely (doesn’t matter with what), it resets for the next ball, but the super bonus stays. It IS multiplied by the bonus multiplier.

The special for the super bonus only lights on the NEXT ball with 72k lit (makes sense, because if you complete the whole matrix in one ball, that’s 72k super bonus)

My strategy is to complete the entire grid with the SAME symbol, and lock in the line. That way, when I’m on the wrong symbol, shoot the locked in targets instead, since it won’t change the symbols already on the board, and they are worth 2k per.

Mystic is a great game, AFAIK the sound package wasn’t reused in any other bally from that era… some of the sounds you start to pick up from game to game and it takes a bit away from it I think. Plus I think it has some of Kevin O’Conner’s best backglass artwork.

1 Like

If you were responding to my post above, I was talking about the case where the super bonus was at max and the grid was then completed again during the same ball. This will collect the grid without the multiplier and then un-light the grid. Only the bonus collected at ball drain is affected by the bonus X amount.

Of course completing the grid with the same symbol is the best strategt but once that’s been done once, or the max bonus is at 72k, it seems like completing the grid again is actually a lower scoring potential since you’ll collect it at 3k per light instead of 3k x bonus X. So actively attempting to keep as much of the grid lit without completing it, then shooting other high value shots makes the most sense to me.

You don’t actually get any additional points for completing/clearing the grid. Just whatever the drop was worth.

There’s nothing like the max bonus/multiplied full grid bonus count down.

I did a ball test this morning and it awarded points for the full grid once it was completed again. Maybe this is a setting of some sort if specials and EBs are disabled? I have my game on novelty because people were getting way too many replays at the location.