Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

If you are right about the monger super, and I believe you must be, this must have been my situation and I have to say that the inserts are misleading.

1 Like

Yes, the inserts are super confusing… Solid character inserts indicate progress toward the Do or Die hurry-up and reset each ball, but flashing character inserts (such as from Monger super) indicate progress toward Do or Die MB wizard mode and carry over. These are independent. Unfortunately the flashing takes priority…

1 Like

This was confirmed at City Champ in competition so was neat to see proof of it (though unfortunate for the player that had it happen to them - though they went on to win the entire tournament on a tiebreaker on that same Iron Man machine)

3 Likes

In Last Action Hero, if you fail to miss the Double Jackpot (which starts 6-Ball), you have to shoot the Crane to relight the normal Jackpot. If you fail to collect the Double again then the amount of shots required to the Crane will increase by one.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

1 Like

If the ball falls into the lock on Rollercoaster Tycoon with 1 ball already locked and the lock not lit, the game will remark at this and give you a Quick Multiball. Lock progress is preserved.

4 Likes

Junkyard stuff:

Use the left flipper to change the flashing Junk. This is the Junk you will collect next (except if you get Collect Junk from the Toilet, which will let you choose in a menu).

Before plunging, select the Cuckoo Clock, which lights the Time Machine mode at the scoop. Pray you get Collect Junk from the plunge skill shot. Hit the wrecking ball until your Multi-Ball is ready. Then, shoot the scoop for Time Machine and pray you get Mamushka or mash the flippers if you see 3:33 for Secret Mania (I think these are random, even in competition mode). These are frenzy modes. Start multi-ball. Notice there’s a spinner in the plunger lane…! Purposely let the balls drain during ball saver and palm plunge into the spinner for huge frenzy points.

You can also do this with the Great Toilet Adventure, which is another frenzy, if you collect all the necessary Junk (Bike Tires + Fan + Bath Tub + Fish Bowl).

Collecting Junk on the left ramp will light the toilet to also Collect Junk for a moment. The game also starts with Collect Junk lit on the toilet. But Junk doesn’t stack, so shoot the toilet first or you’ll miss out on potential Junk.

The order of Left Ramp awards
  • 1 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 3 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 4 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 7 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 9 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 11 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 14 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 17 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 20 - Window Shopping
  • 23 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 26 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 32 - Lite EB (does nothing with EBs off)
  • 35 - Window Shopping
  • 39 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 43 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 55 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 60 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 65 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 80 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 86 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 92 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 110 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 117 - Lite Collect Junk
  • 124 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 145 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 161 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 185 - Lite Window Shopping
  • 203 - Lite Magic Bus
  • 230 - Game crashes! (here's one for you to fix @soren :-) )
  • Collect Junk does nothing if all Junk is collected.
The order of Magic Bus mystery awards in competition mode
  • Video Mode (or 500,000 in the Soren tournament ROM)
  • Lite Jackpot
  • Window Shopping
  • Multi-Ball
  • Lite Recycle
  • Lite Jackot
  • Autofire
  • Repeat from top
Fast route to collecting all the Junk (16 shots)
  • You start the game with the Toaster.
  • Get Collect Junk from the plunge.
  • Shoot the toilet for Collect Junk. (1 flip)
  • Shoot the left ramp for Collect Junk. (1 flip, lights Toilet)
  • (In the standard ROM with competition mode enabled, hit the left ramp again for Magic Bus, which will award you video mode. Beat video mode for a junk.)
  • Shoot the toilet again for Collect Junk. (1 flip)
  • Shoot the left ramp 3 times to get the Collect Junk award. (3 flips, lights Toilet).
  • Shoot the Toilet for the final junk. (1 flip)
  • Use the left flipper to select the Hair Dryer. Shoot the right ramp 4 times to spell DOG and play video mode. Complete video mode. (4 flips, collecting Hair Dryer relights DOG).
  • Shoot the right ramp again and complete the Run from Spike video. (1 flip)
  • Shoot the right ramp 4 more times to play another video mode for the final Junk (4 flips), or in the Soren ROM, shoot the left ramp 6 more times for another Junk (6 flips).
  • Total: 16+ shots
  • You can also get Collect Junk from further skill shots if you drain/recycle, from Magic Bus if you aren't in competition mode, and from playing DOG video mode repeatedly if you aren't using the Soren ROM.)
11 Likes

On Iron Maiden Pro (2018), if the loop jackpot is left uncollected, you have a permanent diverter back to the mini-flipper from a top spinner shot. This makes mini-flipper ball passes into the lowest drop target(s) much easier than those done from metal ramp feeds to the mini-flipper since diverter feeds are much slower than metal ramp feeds.
This is important, from a 1st world perspective, because you can keep lighting multiball locks and 3rd level mystery awards.

6 Likes

Found one on Big Guns - if “YOU ARE INVINCIBLE” and you manage to drain a ball, tough luck (guess you weren’t really invincible after all). If, however, you manage to drain the last ball while invincible, it’ll give you a ball save! So, yes, you are invincible! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe on Black Knight: Sword of Rage, during the WAR hurry-ups, you must hit the flail, Black Knight standup, and shield twice each. If the shield is open for any reason, shooting it counts as two shield hurry-up hits.

2 Likes

If I play one with video mode capped or disabled I’ll commit this to memory. Nice work.

You have to hit the Shield VUK, Ramp, and Black Knight once. If you’re fortunate, the whole mode can be done in 4 shots.

In Triple Knights Challenge, the flail behavior for WAR Hurryups takes precedence. You can hit the flail to open it up for much longer than the Super Jackpot would normally allow (at the cost of it spinning towards you)!

3 Likes

Cool to know. Thanks!

A couple Stern Star Trek DCoS-UPKs:

The Captain’s Chair awards (super ramps, super bumpers, super spinner) carry over from ball to ball. Therefore, there is no tactical advantage in waiting to start two Captain’s Chair awards at once – all things being equal.

If you have completed a mission (main mode) and drain, using your photon torpedoes as the drain happens is generally a bad idea. If your use of the torpedoes during the drain gets a Vengeance mode/MB ready to start, before you plunge your next ball you won’t get the option of starting a new mission. You are better off holding the torpedoes until you start the next ball with a fresh mission, then using them to ready the Vengeance mode in a way that doesn’t lock you out on the plunge*. For the same reason, it’s also helpful to avoid getting a Vengeance mode/MB ready via shooting the ship when you are not in a mission (or when you’re close to the end of a mission).

*Yes, you can still plunge and start a mission, but it’s an extra shot you wouldn’t otherwise need to take.

4 Likes

In AFM, the best case scenario going into Total Annihilation is to have lock lit with the diverter open. Then, during the long grace period after dropping out of TA, you can flail a shot into the lock and you’ll get credit for both the TA collect, and the lock.

This is particularly nice if you’re one of those people like me whose last ditch attempt at the TA collect is often too weak to make it all the way around, and risks ending up coming back down and towards the right outlane. If the diverter is open instead, you’ll get that TA collect you would have otherwise missed.

3 Likes

I’d argue there is a (small) tactical advantage to playing two Super Modes at once. If you have Double Scoring active you’ll be scoring more points on average with the two, especially during a Multiball. Otherwise I don’t bother.

I thought if you start a super mode the last super mode is ended.

Pretty sure that’s not how it works.

Not sure if this is known, or even all that deep, but…

I was playing Monster Bash this morning after fixing a broken launch coil. I was on ball 3, with Monster Bash going, needing only one shot to Bride to finish that mode and collect the Microphone, the last instrument I needed for Monsters of Rock. Unfortunately, I bricked the ramp at least 4 or 5 times and then double drained Bash multiball. As the ball was heading to the trough I reflexively smacked the launch button just in case I had something to use and low and behold, it applied my Hair Dryer award to complete the mode and started Rock. Obviously there is a grace period for the multiball or both balls hadn’t hit the trough yet. Pretty cool!

5 Likes

On MB you can bring frankenstein into Bash and get unlimited keyboards at the Frankenstein Buffet.

4 Likes

On Big Guns you can do a no-swtich valid playfield drain only once in a ball. If you try to do it a second time, you will go to bonus, even though your score is flashing on the screen.

NOTE: If you do this at Pinburgh you will look really stupid.

13 Likes