Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

also after an lock no valid playfield check.

1 Like

On LOTR, you can play all three main multiballs with the same Gollum Multiball.

You do this by qualifying all 3 multiballs, then stack one of them with Gollum. Each time you return to single-ball play, start any of the remaining two multiballs during the grace period; if youā€™re fast enough, Gollum will be ā€œresurrectedā€ by the new multiball as the last one ends.

2 Likes

While true and intentional, it only really matters if youā€™re good at exploiting gollum for the 2x, which Iā€™ve found most people are not.

1 Like

Iā€™d always thought that the 2x and 0.5x cancel out and I shouldnā€™t worry about it. But I guess it actually would average out to 1.25x scoring overall, right? (Unless perhaps itā€™s not an even amount of time spent between the two states).

4 Likes

Use the light state to guide you! Flashing Gollum light = 2x, solid = .5x

10 Likes

In Jack-Bot, the super jackpot shot is worth 2 jackpots ā€“ not 3 jackpots.

I think the confusion comes because you get 3 jackpotsā€™ worth of points for the 2 shots needed to collect it ā€“ A) single jackpot; then B) double (ā€œsuper!ā€) jackpot.

Itā€™s also possible that Iā€™m confused about people being confused and nobody is actually confused about this rule.

2 Likes

Butā€¦are you getting more points than if you shot two different jackpots spaced a few seconds apart?

Of course. Super = 2x value and double progression toward Mega Visor. Regular jackpot = 1x value and 1x progression toward Mega Visor.

Iā€™m just clarifying that a super jackpot in Jack-Bot is not a triple jackpot. Itā€™s a double jackpot.

I thought it was ā€œThat jackpot plus the next one in the seriesā€. So if you hit The third jackpot as a super, you get the points of three + four, and the next one you get is the fifth. So technically its not ā€œdoubleā€ I think.

In terms of advantage, to me, the biggest thing is that you can get four jackpots from two lit eyeballs without having to relight.

How about itā€™s worth the ā€œnext two jackpotsā€? I get what youā€™re saying and I agree. The idea Iā€™m correcting is that itā€™s worth the next three jackpots, which Iā€™m almost sure some people believe.

Hereā€™s the jackpot progression, which Iā€™m sure you know.

So lets say your next jackpot value is 150 million. You collect this jackpot then immediately collect a super jackpot. I think that some people believe the super will be worth 200M + 250M + 300M. It is in fact worth 200M + 250M (plus 2 advancements toward Mega Visor).

1 Like

Iā€™m still not sure about this

The first Super is worth 225M.

First regular Jackbot is 50M and second is 75M.

Thatā€™s 75x3 or 100M+125M (3rd+4th regular jackbots) not 50M + 75Mx2.

Cool, thanks. I wasnā€™t sure. Iā€™ve never been to Mega Visor. But I spent a lot of time on Jackbot last weekend, so Iā€™m inspired to fill in my knowledge gaps.

This is getting interesting. After you collect this earliest possible super, the next jackpot value is 125 million and you have 12 jackpots until Megavisor.

The display shows 225M for the super, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s showing the value you got for the 2 shots combined. This sounds crazy, but start here:

(6:06:32)
P3 has 194M and restarts MB. Then P3 gets a single JP followed by the super JP. P3ā€™s score then sits at 439M. This is 245M total for the flail/lock points (20M), the single (50M), and the super JP (175M).

Long story short: Jack-bot lies.

1 Like

Exhibit B:

We can see that P1s score (after a 50M jackpot) is 241M.

P1 then does the following:

• a few flail points
  • 75M single jackpot
  • 100M single jackpot
  • a super jackpot that the machine shows as ā€œ375Mā€

If the super jackpot shot by itself were worth 375M, P1 should have at least 241M + 75M + 100M + 375M. This total is 791M, and assumes no flail points.

P1 actually has 717M at the end of the multiball, which I break down as follows:

• 241M (starting score)
  • 26M in flail points
  • 75M single jackpot
  • 100M single jackpot
  • 275M super jackpot

Jackpot be lying.

2 Likes

I think this is the correct answer. The second super is worth 450M after you collect the first. 125M+150M+175M.

Therefore a super Jackbot is worth the value of your next two jackbots (not exactly 2x, jackbot).

The value that gets displayed is the total value you receive. Regular Jackbot + next two jackbots from super.

3 Likes

Yes. And itā€™s of course very confusing because it happens in multiball, it always involves pretty large numbers, and also the player score almost never gets displayed when good things are happening. Itā€™s a sneaky thing that I thought qualified as a deep cut.

2 Likes

For the record, this is what I wrote above:

I stand by it, though it would have been more clear to say ā€œthe next 2 jackpotsā€.

TECNICALLY, this is correct. Because if you didnā€™t make the super, youā€™d still get the single.

Confusion perhaps comes in because you only see the super amount, which is the sum of the NEXT 3 JACKPOTS, starting at the current jackpot level.

Keep in mind, when getting a super, the game never shows you the original jackpot score. So I would argue that it is correct in showing you the next 3 combined since you never saw the first.

The next 3 is important, because there are cases where itā€™s not just ā€œ3x the next jackpot.ā€ The edge case of being at 275M, the super is worth 275 + 300 + 350 (925M, not 900M). The edge case of being at 450M, the super is worth 1.45B (450M + 500M + 500M) not 1.5B.

This is all inarguable, so donā€™t try. The only arguing to be done is whether itā€™s showing you a truly accurate value, and I personally am fine with what it shows you. Since you donā€™t see the original value, showing all 3 is OK.

No. Technically the single shot is worth 175M + 200M (375M), but it will show you 525M (150 + 175 + 200). No matter how you look at it, the outcome of making the 2-lock combo is that you earned 525M total, even if you want to argue the 2nd shot is only worth 375.

5 Likes

Not that I donā€™t love math technicalities, but as per another discussion, the input window for the Secret Jackpot on Demolition Man is wide enough to allow you to hit both buttons with one hand if youā€™re fast enough. Itā€™s a neat trick for one handed play :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

On Batman Forever, when the final lock to start Multiball is lit and the Batwing is also qualified, you can load the Batwing and shoot the lock shot from there. Beginning Multiball this way increases the base Jackpot values and starts it with 4 balls in play.

Nothing in the game tells you that you can do this.

4 Likes