Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

On the Flintstones, everyone knows that you can only get CONCRETE letters for multiball via spelling DIG at the top lanes the first time around, right?

Did you know, however, that if you get the Bronto Crane award “Complete concrete” for multiball number 1, you can then use the top lanes to get CONCRETE letters for multiball 2?

7 Likes

The sequence of Tube mystery rewards in No Fear in tournament settings:

Supercross Level
200 Meters
Next Summit Award (5M/Video Mode Lit/Super Spinner/10M/10M… progress resets each ball)
Advance Raceway
Video Mode
…repeat from top

Supercross Level being the first award is fantastic for setting up the Payback Time MB stack. Tube is always lit on the left if you aren’t in a challenge/MB/video mode lit. Can give some really nice awards in normal settings too.

3 Likes

On Party Zone, if you start 10X playfield and get a tilt warning when the 10X background display effect is running, the timer for the 10X playfield will stop counting down. Some shots on the game (Rock-It and Comic Hole) will restart the 10X background display effect and the timer will start counting down again, so avoid these shots if possible. Not sure if this bug was fixed in a later ROM release.

On Cue Ball Wizard, if you have the 8-Ball lit in the multiball sequence, where hitting the 8-ball would light the ramp to start multiball, instead of hitting the 8-ball, start Pool Ball Mania, and continue to avoid hitting the 8-ball. After Pool Ball Mania is over, the ramp will be lit for the 9-ball mode where you have to hit 1-7, then 8, then the 9-ball for 1/2 billion (1 billion if DOUBLE is running). Start the 9-ball mode, and all you have to do is hit the 8-ball then the 9-ball for the 1/2 billion.

On Mystery Castle, leave the Painting for the last mode you start, and stack it with the Skull Multiball. TONS of points here.

11 Likes

Verified this works in every PZ ROM I could find (L-1, L-2, L-3, F-4)! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

if you drop the left side drops before Lil Deadpool multiball, then get the ball to come to a rest on the right-side drop(s) the game will (most of the time) reset the drops and credit you the Lil DP MB lock. So you end up needing only 1 shot instead of 2 to lock the ball.

1 Like

Sequence of hold awards on WOF. You get a hold award every 4 left loop shots.

• Hold Bonus Value
  • Hold Bumper Value
  • Hold Wild Card Value
  • Hold Bumper X
  • Hold Bonus X
  • Hold Left Loop Value
  • Hold Right Orbit Value

After you collect all the awards, it appears that afterwards they are awarded again in random order.

4 Likes

I’ve tested this one out a couple times and it has worked as stated above. That is, it’s worked until tonight, when I definitely could not get CONCRETE letters from DIG completions after multiball 1. I’m not sure what’s happening here.

On Tee’d Off, if you manage to collect the 8th Hole in One (or whichever Hole in One lights Quick Pick) at the center lane when all drop targets are raised, Lightning Storm will automatically start. However, Quick Pick will STILL be qualified after the Multiball ends, meaning you can play two Lightning Storms in a row.

1 Like

Bronco award being complete concrete seems random. Anyone know if there is a sequence of thibgs to hit to get concrete conplete?

I feel like you’re more likely to get the Concrete Complete award if you have fewer CONCRETE letters. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten this award when I had it spelled past around CONCR. This could be a coincidence, or maybe not. The game also seems to like to give Bedrock Derby as the first award more often than the others. But they are at least somewhat random.

The Bronto mystery award is in this order of priority. If something is already active, the next award in the list is awarded.

Double 1-2-3 Values
Bowling Power-Up
2x Playfield Lit
Multiplier Maxed
Big Points 20M

Complete Concrete, Bedrock Derby, EB can randomly be awarded instead of the above based on the percentage set in feature adjustments (even if Tournament Play is on). Unfortunately you can’t set these percentages to 0%. It did seem like I couldn’t get Complete Concrete anymore when I spelled CONCR. Take with a grain of salt, this is me noodling around in Visual Pinball!

I wasn’t able to repro this either!

1 Like

Might have to do with whether or not you scored a jackpot and/or a super?

On The Shadow, you can cycle through the modes on the ramps. The direction the ball is diverted by the Phurba chooses the direction of cycling - left moves to the left/up, right to the right/down.

14 Likes

On Jokerz, I had someone today lock a ball, quickly short plunge, and shoot the ramp before it dropped. I have no clue how consistent this is, but if so it could be a strategy to skip a lock light!

3 Likes

On T3, after Assault and ball drain, during bonus count you can cycle the lit rollovers to get as many as possible at the top. As always, the inlanes and outlanes will be lost, and the top rollovers will carry over to the next ball.

7 Likes

On Iron Man, you qualify Jericho by getting to Mark 6, which usually involves completing the six tasks in the game. But completing the Iron Man targets gives you a Mark each time you complete them, as opposed to all the other tasks which only award a Mark the first time.

There might be a situation where you only have one target left for the next Iron Man mode for your last Mark, vs. taking lots of shots to start the last MB you need.

8 Likes

On Lexy Lightspeed, you can use Agent MB to complete the Spotlight targets for Lights Out MB.

3 Likes

… and the second Iron Man completion starts double scoring, which might be useful during Jericho :slight_smile:

[Clarify: you get the mark for spelling IRON MAN, and the next target hit starts the mode. So it’s possible to not even start the mode, if you don’t want it right away.]

2 Likes

The thing about Iron Man, Jericho and Do or Die, is that if both Jericho and Do or Die are lit, you go into Jericho.

2 Likes

False. I used to think this, but it’s actually because you never REALLY had Do or Die Lit. You must start all features on the same ball, GETTING A SUPER IN MONGER DOES NOT CARRY THIS OVER TO THE NEXT BALL.

1 Like