Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

and Jungle Lord

Here’s a pretty deep (yet very useful) cheat on The Shadow:

If you finish the last scene in your 2nd+ Khan mb, AND you’ve already played shadow mb and completed the battlefield, Final Battle will be ready during khan multiball.

If you shoot the saucer, you will be in Final Battle, but unlike the usual ‘down to single ball, out of the fun’ version, this bug will let you continue with just a single ball, untimed.

15 Likes

Oh man! The one time I completed Final Battle I had one shot left and was down to one ball and it didn’t end, so I shot it and finished. I always assumed it was a trough glitch but I wonder if it was actually this.

1 Like

Speaking of Final Battle: the Start Mode and Start Khan MB saucers will both spot a lit shot, but only after they’ve been shot once (i.e. if they’re unlit, they’ll spot a shot).

3 Likes

Tried this but did not succeed at Expo on a Tron LE with one drop left to go.

While poking around Sopranos, I found a code to get into the service menu without the keys on most(?) Stern WhiteStar games. The memory protect switch in the coin door prevents you from changing anything, but maybe a fun parlor trick if you want to check on the settings or something. :slight_smile:

8L 1R 9L 1R 4L 1R 5L 1R (spells “HIDE”)
The game should play a sound (depends on the game)
then:
1L 1R 2L 1R 3L 1R. Then press R again and hold it for a few seconds.
It will pop into the service menu

14 Likes

Two for Beatles:

Normally the lit EB lane alternates with slingshot hits. In MB play, however, it locks into the left lane.

If you did not complete level 5 on your two ball MB, after playing the Help MB, you will be able to select the 2 ball at the beginning of future balls until you have completed level 5. This means you are probably smart to avoid jackpots during the regular MB, and concentrate on drop targets to light extra balls and build bonus multipliers.

1 Like

some places with card systems in an custom coin door may not have the memory protect switch setup.

Diner:

The extra ball that’s lit from successive left ramp shots increments each time you collect it. However, because your progress on the left ramp is held until the shot times out, you can easily collect a ton of Extra Balls without much effort.

ie. The first Extra Ball is at 5 ramp shots, and the second one is at 10 ramp shots. If you collect the first Extra Ball before reaching the 10 ramp shots threshold, you’ll light the Extra Ball again upon reaching it. If you pass the threshold before collecting the Extra Ball, you’ll have to make the shots manually.

1 Like

Harley Davidson (1991). An interesting exploit on this game, and possibly others that have lock stealing, is you can restart a game after locking a ball. So you can get a jump on multiball for a fresh game.

spinner on car hop is lit at plunge time and appears to stay lit until you hit another switch.

While doing this I noticed a number of “proprietary” audits… wonder what audits would be so secretive they wouldn’t want revealed without a key?

Speaking specifically for Mystic, this is true if you complete the card with all the same icons (to get the 72k bonus), at which point the card clears. You are however, able to refill the card which, if done with at least 1 different icon, does result in a higher total bonus (72k + 3k per lit insert). So, your max possible bonus is (72k + 3k x 9 inserts) x 4 bonus X = 396k.

Doesn’t the card reset when you fill in all 9 inserts, regardless of whether the symbols match? This would mean max possible bonus is (72k + 3k x 8 inserts) x 4 bonus X = 384k.

No, it only resets when they all match. By not resetting if they don’t match, you have the opportunity to convert any mixed verticals to matching. It may reset if you match just the verticals, I’d have to check that, but if there’s any vertical that isn’t a set, it won’t reset the card.

Ah, right. It’s been a while. :slight_smile:

I think that’s a setting. Once you fill a card with any combination of symbols you’ll get a new card. Pretty sure that’s how it works at the one on location by me.

they show up in the full menu as well (left over debug or other code from the last games that the code is based on?)

On Star Trek the Next Generation the only mode that will stay active during Borg multiball is Q. If you already played Q, you can still start it a second time through command decision as a rerun. Lots of points will follow with minimum effort.

6 Likes

I couldn’t find that setting in the manual, just whether or not the card progress carriers over ball to ball (which of course could just be wrong in the manual).

But I have confirmed the following (with the settings on my game):

1. Cards full with mixed symbols do not reset, and you can continue changing the lit symbol as long as the column isn’t a full match (at which point the symbol goes out and the arrow lights for 2k/drop).

2. If all three columns are matches, but not all three the same (2 pyramid columns, 1 eye column), you get locked out of progressing bonus. The card will not reset, items on the board will not change (all lit for 2k/drop), and you cannot gain more super bonus.

How’s that for a deep cut on a game you’re probably never going to play in a tournament? :slight_smile:

3 Likes