Random thing to bring up… but I personally find “unused” content in pinball software, or things that were outright removed from the code, interesting.
I like how these things can show the evolution of a game’s vision, licensing hurdles, developer in-jokes, or how things could’ve turned out, I guess. Essentially a peek into the development of a game.
Here’s some interesting examples of unused code assets I’m aware of. Feel list to list any others that you know about and think are cool/weird!
- The Rolling Stones: Prototype ROMs had animations of a bobblehead Mick Jagger dancing and reacting when you hit the Mick target. Was removed from final ROMs, from what I’ve heard. Brief footage of that animation can be found here.
- Wheel of Fortune: Unused “Final Spin” and “Bonus Round” animations, music tracks for 8 unfinished Trip Multiballs, and unused callouts referencing Share the Weath/Clean Sweep Multiballs, a Super Spin mode, and the Wizard Bonus.
- Austin Powers: In an interview, Keith Johnson mentioned that some animations were removed from production ROMs, like Mini-Me humping the laser, and the tent silhouette scene.
- Mustang: A bunch of unused portraits for the Road Course mode, as seen here.
- 24: There’s two scrapped animations for when you blow up the safe house. A terrorist would be seen in the ruins, either sitting on the toilet or taking a shower. I vaguely remember seeing it in an early ROM release on location.