I'm open to any suggestion, and this isn't bad, but there are definitely some issues.
1) You equate high WPPR value with a quality tournament. I can say from experience that is not always the case.
2) Some of these events are up there because they got a shot as a Circuit event. They got an opportunity, got excited and got the community motivated and put on a great event despite probably not being on your elite list of events the year before.
3) The current system uses the 'actual players who go to the actual tournaments' to decide who are the 15 pre-selected events. So in that way its not that much different.
4) This system would only make TDs want to maximise WPPRs any way possible. Right now any tournament who meets the Circuit criteria can have a shot. Max WPPRs or not.
5) Tying it to WPPR may create interesting situations if IFPA decides to change the formula mid-year. PAPA reps have no say in WPPR formula changes but tying the circuit to it means we live and die by the system, whether we agree with the changes or not. TDs would gear their event to use the latest WPPR exploit and when IFPA patches it, they're all of the sudden off of the circuit.
6) Do you honestly think there wouldn't be any complaining because the numbers are the numbers? I can already see the CalX players complaining when their event didn't make it in by 0.09 WPPRs
There may be something to build off of here, but I'm not sure going pure WPPR is the way to go.