Yellow Cards, behavior and penalties

I think in the end, operators/TD’s/venues set what they consider acceptable, and if you think it’s too “soft” as a player, then you just don’t play there.

Same goes the other way - if there’s a tournament in a biker bar or something and no one running the event has a problem with foul or raunchy language, then you would just not play there if that wasn’t your cup of tea.

Communicating up front what is or isn’t allowed will go a long way towards teaching players what they can or can’t do, or informing prospective players about the environment they may be coming to.

5 Likes

Dude, again, I’m sorry!!

3 Likes

Sorry Dave, that’s not being inclusive. You much embrace everyone’s beliefs or you are holding pinball back from being what it could be…

I understand issuing yellow cards for all of the behaviors mentioned thus far and I am looking forward to having them be enforced at our local league.

That being said, if anyone decides to not issue me a yellow card but rather opts to yell across the room at me. Me and that person will have issues that go beyond the realm of pinball. Please refrain from yelling at people. Players or otherwise. Yelling at machines is bad, yelling at people is worse. I’ve been on both ends, and it is far more damaging than any outburst directed at a machine.

Want people to be gentle with machines? Good thing there’s already been a device invented to keep track of excessive movement. If a game doesn’t have one set up properly, it’s not as if the TD acts as a stand in. This of course excludes death saves, bang backs, and rage tilting after a ball is gone. If the ball is in play, the machine decides what is or isn’t excessive, nothing else (if you’re in a public location).

2 Likes

Better chance than you think - when glass gets broken, a lot of people don’t know to order tempered to replace it and wound up getting a sheet of plate glass instead. I think Vince (Thekorn) broke a sheet of plate glass on his STTNG somebody prior had installed just by leaning on the lockbar…

1 Like

well, on the positive side, cleaning up broken plate glass is a heck of a lot easier than cleaning up broken tempered!

Also a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Also are we really taking about banning words here? Unless there is an actual list of words I can’t see that the rule could ever be enforceable.

1 Like

Yes, the list comes from George Carlin!

1 Like

The message boards of yore used to have a setting for automatically erasing/replacing banned words. Not sure if this setting is available on Discourse. But yeah, you’d add Carlin’s list, and they’d be filtered out without the administrators having to sweat over it.

I still refer to WPPRs as “boints” because ye olde Portland pinball message board banned “points” at some …point.

3 Likes

Yes!! That was an excellent use of that filter. Too much talk about points!

I hope you learned something from my reckless moderation methods.

2 Likes

I’m guessing if the following was done properly (watch both videos), a yellow card would not be called for. Either way, now that it’s on youtube, heads up to TD’s for seeing this at an event soon.

BOTH VIDEOS ARE REALLY LOUD

2 Likes

Oh boy.

Sorry. What’s the point of posting these videos?

Mostly as a heads up to TD’s that they may see players banging on games in a new way soon, but also wondering if someone might yellow or red card the banging.

The second video shows that it doesn’t take much banging (palm of the hand) and it appears that it really does work. I kinda get physics, but it would be awesome if someone else could confirm that this actually works. Dude calling the tilt bob the ‘bobber’ doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. if indeed it works, I might do this at league if someone rage tilts in front of me. Hate waiting around forever for a tilt to settle.

I don’t see the difference between that video and letting the tilt bob settle naturally. Also, if TDs know a game has a bob that won’t settle like that, I’d hope they would do an ear plug or something so we’re not waiting on the bob to settle all tournament.

1 Like

I was skeptical of the ear plug thing, but having seen it in practice at NWPAS and a few smaller events it seems to work. It cuts down on BS tilts or at least reduces complaints about them. It might benefit me more than some players as I feel like I often tilt via ten relatively small moves rather than one huge one.

2 Likes

For those not familiar with the ear plug thing, here’s a link to the post with @soren’s comprehensive video: Ear Plug Tilt Hack

(If you want to jump to the part about the modification, it starts at 9:45. Linked directly below, but the whole video is worth watching!)

5 Likes

In the first video, the tilt bob didn’t settle for over a minute when left alone. With the banging, it settled in 15 seconds or so. Not all TD’s have the keys to games. Even if you have the keys, if your league plays in public locations, it’s not likely the ear plugs will be installed, then removed a couple hours later when league is done.

Why would you ever remove the ear plug? Take two seconds and stays forever.

I have no issue with the player doing this to help settle the bob.

1 Like