WPPR v6.0 sneak peek . . .

and will that ban 1 ball ones or strongly say no to them?
what about the max 50% rule does advancing tied players to finals over that an issue?

Doesn’t say anything about how you have to play the tiebreaker, so a one ball I believe could be implemented. I am not a fan of the rule our league uses qualifying position as the advantage tiebreaker. It makes qualifying a real strength and when you got 50+ people you fought your way to get the tiebreaker advance going through playoffs. No big deal one more ball or game it is I guess, I am more confused if it only applies to 200% tournaments or anything over 100%.

yes

just adding: the 10% rule is only a strict requirement for indirect qualifying, not for direct qualifying. But it is a requirement if you want to grade out your tournament >100%TGP - f.e. group matchplay 12 rounds with 100 participants and then PAPA-style finals top8 maxes out at 100% (instead of 36 games towards TGP/144%)

RIP 6 player Sega and 6MDM (and a few others) tournament.

and i assume that will applies to league grading out 100%+ too as well? like 1 150 players league going to a top 8 finals would not work anymore?

This is the way it is right now for 2023 based on the v5.8 rules and will continue to be the way it is for the 2024 season.

1 Like

right, so with 6.0 if directplay tourney/league has less than 10% into a final, they will be sanctioned events but limited to 100% max.
If they want to get 100-200% they would need to take between 10-50% from qual to finals-

With this new system, perhaps top 250 would make a good future cutoff for A-division restrictions on players?

3 Likes

Depends on the tournament size as well. I still may want to do 1,000 for local events, but for popular high end stuff I can definitely see 250.

already now with 5.8

Interesting Factoid:

Right now, Escher’s lowest top-20 result is worth about 86 WPPRs. Jeff Teolis, now ranked 50th, has his Highest result at 82 WPPRs and change. That’s what all these WPPR boosts do when just 2 players are making the most of them. Go back to v5 and it’s nothing at all like that.

1 Like

Josh, I thought you’d like it, but perhaps hadn’t had the chance to notice such nuances. Figured some other people would find it informative as well.

Can you explain for those who are less WPPR educated how this is better?

That’s a Josh question. The whole “better” (or not) issue has been beaten to death in this thread and on various other boards, e.g. Discord. Some of us disagree with certain elements or numerical factors of the new scheme while still agreeing that other portions of it have merit. I’m just along for the ride at this point.

Actually the rankings as they look right now have nothing to do with the v6.0 changes.

This thread is the best place to read about why v5.8 is better than v5.7:

That was less a philosophical question and more “I don’t understand what the major difference is between v5 and v6 or what this means in a larger context of how WPPRs are calculated.” Although apparently it’s actually related to 5.7 to 5.8…
So let’s call the whole thing off :slight_smile:

WPPR-geddon is upon us! Just five more days until it happens.

For some of us it’ll be just like Thanos’ snap, and for others it’ll be like Tony Stark’s :slight_smile: For most of the pinball world, though, it’ll just be another day …

4 Likes

Seeing as the spreadsheet hasn’t been updated since 11/6 I’m getting out the popcorn maker…

My bad. Since the spreadsheet was just an estimate (doesn’t account for us dropping from top 20 to 15 on your resume, and doesn’t take into account SOS), I got lazy updating it after we finalized our plans for next year.

It has been updated as of right now.