WPPR v5.8 sneak peek

Speculation? Keep it in crypto for even more fun and surprises

can you explain the math on this? maybe I’m just not clear who you’re responding to

and then change like $10 per player just to cover the fees

I think RD’s semi-finals and finals must be single game rounds. That’s the only way they’re gonna get done in an hour. So I see 20 games(I don’t think 20.9 gets rounded up). Then 2 more games X 2 = 4
So currently 24 games = 96%. With the new rules that would be 14 games = 56%

In terms of the new players/friendly/less daunting thing, every FF I’ve been in features almost zero talking between any players. You spend your entire time playing heads up matches, and then leaving your opponent to queue for the next match. Your social interaction time in a FF is limited to the 2-5 minutes you spend in the queue. Standings are probably hidden as well so new players barely have any idea what is happening other than they are being told to play a player at a machine at random. Matchplay was the first format I experienced when I started playing competitively and I just remember so much conversation going on, felt really welcoming. Still feels like that now, gives new players lots of chances to interact with lots of different players socially.

7 Likes

It’s the new way!

No sandbagging if you don’t know the scores! :slight_smile:

rd

We (the international directors) all know the brick wall that awaits us when we do that so we’ve run out of puff. We give in!

Haha!

rd

We could just invent a totally new and absolutely not flip frenzy™ format where three (or four) player groups are formed from a queue…

Every player gets a poker chip with their name on it. If you aren’t playing, your chip is in the bag. If you are playing it isn’t. Once you hit 20 matches you don’t put your chip back in the bag.

2 Likes

and all players must play X matches? What about odd number of players?

4 Likes

and in that idea you have an max games but no min games?
so some one can end up sitting for most of the event with way less games played and way more wait time then other players?

at least with flip frenzys now when waiting you are in an fixed line with no jumps. and you have some time to take quick brakes.
With that idea you can end playing back to back to back for an very long time

@ectobar @coreyhulse if only something like this were possible

2 Likes

To be fair, he said, ‘a queue’, not several queues.

1 Like

We have no rules regarding how you do pairings for Group Play or Head-to-Head play.

You can pair people using Swiss, Tiered Swiss, Balanced, Random . . . or the future most popular version “Available pairings”.

2 Likes

Even if this totally theoretical 3p/4p software that we totally didn’t make during pandemic actually existed, my presumption is that a 4p will get the 2x boost but be multiplied by 1/2 to bring it back to 1TGP per game.

Josh is repeatedly trying to clue you guys into the “fix,” which is everyone playing the same number of games. Once you accomplish that, it ceases to be a flip frenzy and is just an X round heads-up tourney with an efficient queue.

6 Likes

…an efficient queue and the world’s worst pairing algorithm :joy:

3 Likes

Not with 2 player games and an odd number of players

and may force real tie barkers as there will be no seeding