WPPR formula change to v5.7 for 2022!

Is there an issue with playing games at the same time? I’ve been doing this for years, not even sure I’m annotating it in the results submission. Sometimes it’s during qualifying, sometimes finals.

It’s fine. It’s one of those things that we see organizers do in the spirit of saving time. This certification process is mostly about NOT saving time :smile:

1 Like

it is one of my favorite format for weekly/monthly finals tbo, we call it Multi-Matchplay (Dave use it quite a bit too). On top of being “time and WPPR efficient” i really like the fact that the ratio of waiting versus playing is much more generous. Having to adapt to ad different machine between balls is also an interesting challenge.
Again different format and versions is a good thing, if all the finals were 2-3 hours round of PAPA/Pinburgh finals it would get old veryyy quickly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My experience with multi-table is it saves a little bit of time but everyone still ends up waiting around on the one long game or one long ball anyway. And after the time some crazy lady’s kid wanted to pick a fight with me when I had to tell her we were in the middle of a game and she couldn’t play it, I now keep my standing around babysitting location games in progress to an absolute minimum.

2 Likes

One of the fun things about multi-matchplay: When you finish a long ball it’s always your turn on the next game. No line, no waiting!

2 Likes

I like frenzies, but I really don’t like multi-match play because most of the time I can’t see other players’ game state. They could have made no progress toward multiball, or are one shot away from it, so I have no idea how aggressive to be with my strategies. I only have their scores to go off of.

10 Likes

fair point, different formats, different pros and cons :slight_smile:

Unless one player is absolutely blowing up a game. Then you get the fun of both waiting, and looking like a jerk while doing so, as you guard the machine you just played from arcade patrons who have no clue why they can’t play these three apparently idle machines.

I’ve played in a few tournaments with multi-matchplay finals, and now actively avoid the format. It feels too much like a desperate points grab to me.

2 Likes

I love multitable and flip frenzies, but I definitely am one of the only hardcore players in the my area that actually likes both of these formats haha

Multi-table is definitely best suited for private venues or anywhere where you can rope off a bunch of machines, depending on the arcade/barcade this may or may not be possible.

Barcades love flip frenzy though because of the increased coin drop and the waiting in the queue to sell drinks/snacks/etc…

flip frenzies work good in places where you just pay one fee to enter and games are on free play.

3 Likes