I’ve been to a few in the last few years of all formats and sizes. Most I love, only a few I’d pass in the future.
For the bigger (PAPA) sized ones, I don’t mind long lineups or wait times. It’s expected and with cueing there are others things you can do. Too hard to control, and if it’s a pump and dump you know what you’re getting into when you enter.
I like (if possible):
- a variety of tourneys (main, classics, women, etc.)
- seeing people from our community from all over different parts of the world. The common bond of pinball and being able to play he best in the world is unlike anything else.
- a good mix of games, especially in Main events. I wouldn’t want to play only all new DMD’s or only just older DMD’s.
- accessibility. This includes parking, hotel, proximity to airports/highways
- personally, I love the NeverDrains software and cueing system. I’d imagine it’s easier for organizers and scorers.
- full TGP. If time permits and you’re close to the max, what’s a few more matches to get there.
- lots of volunteers. I realize this wish is easier said than done.
- rules clearly laid out prior.
- if a game goes down early, replace it. This is key and only makes sense. The Buffalo Pinball Summer Open did this with perfection when Domino’s went down early.
- clearly define where the $ goes. Doesn’t matter if it’s charity, players, trophies…as long as its transparent.
- I don’t mind limited entries. Helps control size and timing. As long as you can play each needed game 3x that’s fine.
- seminars. For the bigger shows these are great if time permits.
Things I don’t like:
- need to have techs available. Again, easier said than done, but it’s necessary if people are investing time and money to come to an event.
- people bumping into each other. I think we all love PAPA and Pinburgh for the space they provide. If you’re bumping into someone when your playing, it’s too tight.
- bad lighting.
- going overboard with swearing. Look, I swear too, but as these events are streamed and beyond, it won’t help the broadcasts and potential sponsorships.
What do you like/dislike?