Use of cell phone flashlight by player to remedy poor lighting/glare situations.

A couple of our league/tourney locations have some bad lighting situations on some games. Arcade owner does NOT plan on investing in Pinstadiums or similar. Some older players with poorer eyesight have taken to activating their cell phone flashlights and placing the phone on the glass in order to be able to see the playfield/ball.

Does this fall under I.9
“No player may use a camera or visual aid of any kind, other than the instructions provided by the machine, while standing at the machine”

or III.9
" Tournament Officials will make every reasonable attempt to accommodate disabilities. This may also apply to people with temporary disabilities, such as injuries."
?

well under the ADA it may vary well fall under " Tournament Officials will make every reasonable attempt to accommodate disabilities. This may also apply to people with temporary disabilities, such as injuries."

It’s no different than a headlamp. Not sure where that falls under the rules, but it’s fine unless it’s distracting others and getting lots of complaints.

Headlamps make champs

6 Likes

Only if it’s held in place by an 80’s style neon headband.

Seriously though, as long as they’re just using the light, it seems fine to me.

Modify the rule to make it as you’d like…

2 Likes

Given the dictionary definition of visual aid, a cell phone flashlight is not a visual aid, and section I.9 should not apply

As a person of advancing age and rapidly deteriorating eyesight, I really wish the rules lords would have ruled headlamps visual aides and banned them from the start.

Shameless plug: Have you tried PinShades?

1 Like