Tutorials Patreon

Is the case of X-Men couldnt you do a glass off tutorial first and then do your gameplay tutorial?

When the video is published you can then just add the glass off tutorial to the back of your standard gameplay video.

This could still be an option the next time your at papa, just release a 2nd revision with glass off vid added to the one currently released.

Thank you so much Bowen - it was a great video, and very much appreciated for a game that not a lot of people know well.

I’ll echo the above comments (that it seems you agree with)…there is some basic stuff missing (how to start heroes, how to start villains, add-a-ball, etc). Since you’re playing for Danger Room, there isn’t really talk about general stacking strategy either.

If two games are included in the video, or if you suspect there will be, it’s no big deal repeating yourself if you do it while playing (as opposed to standing there for a few minutes talking beforehand). Just something like: “Since I just completed the inlanes, let’s start a villain mode right now” would go really far. Doesn’t matter if you just said it a minute earlier - we need reminders! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In fairness, Bowen may not have had much directorial oversight of how the video has come out of editing, and it’s arguably more an editing issue than anything else. But then again, if this is just the one game that things went well on from a multi-hour session, then editing will also be challenging.

I think what we’re saying is that if you had just crushed your first game, and done it all in one take it would be much smoother. Therefore - play better! :wink:

4 Likes

Bowen’s reaction to Storm’s voice clips was enough to see that there had been many takes at that point :). As someone who just bought an X-Men, I understand too well!

what? They aren’t your favorite call out? :smiley:

I think Magneto sounds like Thurston Howell the 3rd.

We’ve done 50 tutorials without a glass off and there’s no reason to start now :slight_smile:

To be clear, there were other good games in the session, but the others ended rather disappointingly. I think given the choice between this game, and a 45+ minute video that included the other game, this is the better choice. I appreciate the feedback on what we can do to improve, and totally agree this was not a very good live talk-over for the reasons we’ve discussed.

4 Likes

I for one really like the 15-25 min duration. I can put one on while eating breakfast or dinner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like it’s a bit of a balancing act between wanting to make a really cool high production value video for everyone, and a bunch of people (myself included) just wanting to see any and all footage of you explaining a game.

I was wondering, can you estimate how much work it would be to make just the playfield cam and your voice of the whole recording session available to backers? Or how much extra work to add the DMD? I’m probably underestimating, since I don’t know the first thing about video production.

Anyway, if it’s within reasonable limits, I’d consider this backer money well spent. If it’s over the budget, maybe make it a goal?

I can only speak for myself, and I’m certainly not immune to false-consensus bias, but I do think that many backers would love to get access to full recording sessions.

3 Likes

Just to say it again… thank you so much, Bowen, for the passion you have for pinball to take the time to do these: travel time, time away from your wife and son, using vacation time. It’s much appreciated!

4 Likes

I don’t have an estimate for this but I know it would be pretty high. I pay the folks from Replay Foundation (via the Patreon money) for the video editing, and it takes many hours to produce the current videos. I am certain this would put us over budget, and with the limited amount of time Replay has to help with this project, I am not sure they’d want to do full-session editing.

The other problem is dilution; if both the tutorial and recording session are published to YouTube, there’s a good chance a new viewer will see the less-clean, less-interesting, less-family-friendly recording session first. Publishing the recording session as a private video is an option, but automatically limits the audience.

A third problem is my own environment and process (such as it is). Currently if a game goes badly I blow off a little steam then start again. If the entire recording session is going to be published, I need to take a different mindset from the beginning – no between-game conversations with the Replay staff, no swearing, etc., and I get to know that the entire bad game I just played will be published for posterity. While this is not an insurmountable issue, I will say I would greatly prefer not to publish the entire recording session.

I agree that there are backers who want this, and will think some more about it. There may be an alternate solution, which would be to offer some live/recorded/streaming play that is not meant to be a tutorial.

5 Likes

My vote would be to just throw in an outtake or two at the end of each tutorial. Whether you choose to bleep or not is up to you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

IMO, the ability to view the recording session would be a great supporter perk, warts and all. YouTube has the option for both unlisted and private live streams which could limit the live broadcast to backers only. Your choice after that if the broadcast is archived or deleted.

With that said, I don’t know if Wirecast supports YouTube live streams. @PAPA_Doug How’s that XSplit / OBS migration coming along :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks, those are all good reasons not to do it, especially the third one. If you can’t feel comfortable during a recording session, that’s no good to anyone. Still hoping, though—maybe there’s a way to make that alternate solution work.

1 Like

Thanks to you all for the feedback. I’ll look into what the options are.

2 Likes

I like Karl’s idea. I would probably watch the ‘PapaTV’ streamy version at first for my own enjoyment (wasn’t it Tron and Jackbot?), and then down the road when I have to play the game for serious somewhere I’ll watch the 20 minute edited version.

1 Like

Working on it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I watched the Kiss tutorial this morning ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VZAdtlo80 ).

Outstanding. Not just due to the fact you had a great game, but I felt the presentation and rules description was perfect too. Really great job! Thanks from me, this was a game I’m not too familiar with and would now be much more comfortable on.

4 Likes