Tutorials Patreon

Well, you could select Scared Stiff or Arabian Nights over Simpsons Pinball Party then :grinning:

I wonder what a wizard mode video really means. If it is to show the mode itself, well cheat then. If it is to show a progress strategy over a points/competition strategy, indeed interesting.

In all fairness such an attempt is granted permission to “factory” configuration. Including fair difficulty and extra balls. Good luck.

From @bkerins patreon:

“(This will not be a full gameplay video, as we will set up the wizard mode off-camera.) The wizard mode will be selected by backers.”

You mean these AREN’T done in one take?!? :scream:

Record Better!

14 Likes

Doing live commentary every time as if it’s the first usable take that will be shown must get old pretty fast.

4 Likes

As can be seen in the “behind the scene Tron tutorial in making” video… Bowen is a trooper to stick with it!

Though I can’t seem to find that behind the scene video anywhere now?

2 Likes

X-Men was great!

thanks Bowen :slight_smile:

This forum needs spoiler tags :zipper_mouth:

Very true. An unexpected “benefit” to early access :frowning:

Next time, I’ll post something to the backers about spoilers… sorry!

oh sorry, didn’t think about it for a tutorial :confused:

Do you know how many foreign (non US) contributors you have Bowen? For me the stumbling block is the currency exchange rate fees (both a % and fixed fee for each transaction)

I’d personally be happier paying (eg) a single $60 payment for 12 months of being a ‘backer’. I get that the whole idea with Patreon is that they (and probably you too) want a reliable monthly income, but by paying upfront I’m saying ‘here - I’m committing to 12 months’. And at that point I don’t care if Patreon drip feed that to you if that’s the way they want to do it.

Hope Patreon can implement something like that in the future.

1 Like

I’m using PayPal with SEPA for Patreon, and while their exchange rates aren’t the greatest, I don’t see a fixed fee per transaction, so at least for me there doesn’t seem to be any benefit to paying upfront. What are you using?

1 Like

Hey, it’s up! (How do I stop the YT embed from self-destructing? UGH.)

Thanks for offering! Unfortunately there is no way for me to do that; I can’t force-add people to the Patreon at specific $ levels, and they don’t seem to be able to front-load multiple months. I’m not doing this for a career so don’t sweat it at all if buying in is too complicated or extra-expensive.

I also don’t get stats on where people are from when they contribute, sorry!

3 Likes

Video link

Gambit hurryup started around the 22 minute mark. Gambit hurryup ignored. :frowning:

That shot through the POP with upper flipper up into the right pop is a sweet one :slight_smile:

Yeah, pulled that off during one of the other non-best games. One other miss: ended up draining this game’s ball 3 just before being able to fully talk about the villain-lighting shenanigans you can pull with Hellfire or Brotherhood.

I thought it was great. Love seeing the best tackle a game successfully like this.

My only minor critique would be that I did feel it was obvious we jumped in at a point where you’d already been playing a while. There was little explanation of what was going on, which I’m sure you would have mentioned at an earlier (unseen) point. (I’d need to rewatch to be sure, but I don’t think you mentioned for example that the inlanes light the scoop to start vilain mode?)

In some of your other videos, they start with you talking your way around the playfield, explaining the shots and some of the objectives prior to you plunging the ball. That’s really valuable for players new to the game, and also should allow for a fairly easy cut from that introduction to what you later consider ‘the best game’ without the viewer feeling a little lost.

Still, absolutely loved it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Almost always, those “talk around” introductions are live in the game, rather than a cutaway part of the introduction. I generally find people don’t want to watch too much blah-blah at the start, they want action and they want it now :wink: New viewers don’t give you a lot of time on YouTube before they want to move on to something else, so you need to make it interesting fast or else.

Couple that with my inability to get the job done on X-Men in many tries, and I totally agree: there was quite a bit of basic information left out of the beginning. I also think I was expecting an earlier game (the one where only Storm was left to get Danger Room, referenced early) to be included in the video, which is why some rule explanations were missing. It was probably the better decision to leave out the other game.

It’s definitely true that I should have done a better job with this! Thanks for your feedback!

4 Likes