Tournament Director Machine Information Wiki?

@haugstrup Might want to figure out how to handle this situation in OPDB, not sure what is appropriate.

1 Like

I guess my question is if the information to make those settings is available on ipdb, should we leave it off as it’s on ipdb already per your initial comment?

So for fireball 2 just say to change whatever setting. Then they can look at ipdb to see how to make the adjustment.

For gottliebs you would have to list the dip switch location and on or off as the manuals are not on ipdb.

I think a good reason to pull them into OPDB / another place is because IPDB is so antagonistic about having their data shared / scraped. If we put it into OPDB then the data can be made available via API and integrated into all sorts of other applications. I agree that we don’t want to repeat random game information from IPDB, but for information related to this specific project I think it is worthwhile to get it all in one place that is open and publicly shareable.

4 Likes

Cool cool. Just wanted to make sure I’m clear before making any submissions.

1 Like

I would love dip switch recommendation that are concise and quick to check. But in reality, we also probably don’t all agree on recommended setting.

2 Likes

At the moment though I’m unaware of many/any recommended dip switch settings for games. I’m hoping this effort can at least establish at least one recommendation for a given machine, and further I hope that by having one it then invites discourse on different ways it could be set up. Perhaps there’s ways that multiple different recommendations could be captured on the OPDB side, especially if there isn’t a single prevailing school of thought on a game.

I have a collection of a few dozen sets of settings from machines I’ve used in the past, I would be willing to donate to the cause. Each one is currently in its own Word file.

I like this idea of a uniform database. I would encourage going a small step further and being able to have a “Print” function that will print the list as a checklist.

When I’ve been responsible for setting up machines at a show with multiple helpers, I would create one page per machine, and put the sheet on the glass for each machine. The helpers would go through and do setups then check off what was done. Not just for DIP settings but also for any non-default setting on the SS/DMD/LCD machines.

When you do that ‘print’, also add a few common checklist items, like Level Machine, Clean Glass, Add Tilt Ear Plug Hack, etc.

Two samples have been attached (supersonic and Guardians)

bally-1979-supersonic.pdf (946.1 KB)
stern-2018-guardiansotg.pdf (690.1 KB)

To the extent this proposed solution eliminates the need to manually create those lists, and instead let’s me pick a machine and just say ‘print’, that would be awesome! An advanced perk would be to allow me to see it, make my own additions/changes, then print. Even more advanced is to save ‘alternative setups’ so that directors could see when there are some differences in particular settings that different directors like to use.

So great idea, these are just seeds for additional discussion on this topic. I also have a few dozen machines with similar files (all in word, converted to PDF here only for uploading), that I’d be willing to contribute to the effort if someone wanted to review the settings I’ve used in the past.

7 Likes

for newer games update rom / software and or post note with software version should be on there as well?

Having a field for suggested pingolf objectives would be a nice thing to note as well.

I learned a lesson about Mousin’ Around where I made the objective Spell CHEESE and tested it to make sure letters carry, which they did…for players 1 and 3. Lol. I tested with a 1 player game so didn’t catch it before the tournament start. Ended up having people play it as a 1-player hole.

Whoa. Why does it only do it for players 1 and 3?

I have no idea. But it was confirmed on a separate machine as well.

2 Likes

These are beautiful. Do you mind sharing others that you’ve made? I like the structural difference between the Bally and the Stern examples which make it simple for anyone doing machine setup.

Sorry for the delay, I got sidetracked with other stuff. I had many more than I thought. Over 130 of them. I just got them all together in one place, and put them online here: http://wapinball.net/setups/

These are provided as-is, no guarantee of accuracy. Feel free to use, copy, redistribute, or whatever. I’m happy to help other tourneys run smoother if I can. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Pricing changes should not be in the lists. Other then DE / sega games that will change pricing on tourney mode