Those that like to shout at themselves be warned . . .

Eric Stone and myself are officially on watch :slight_smile:

8 Likes

ā€¦can I say ā€œBAD BAD, BAD BAD BADā€ the next time I mess up order of operations on WPT still? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I recognize that this sort of thing is largely reflexive and involuntary for those whoā€™ve been doing it a long time, but Iā€™m glad to see it being taken more seriously with warnings issued. I can tune out most of my surroundings while playing, but when someone is screaming nonsense I have a hard time ignoring it.

8 Likes

Uh oh, Iā€™m in trouble too. I call myself an idiot all the time while playing pinballā€¦ :rage:

2 Likes

For real? He said ā€œStupid, stupid, personā€? In the pinball world thatā€™s like Praying the Rosary!

7 Likes

I always yell at myself. ā€œErik Robert!ā€ Haha.

What little I know of sports psychology suggests that you should not do that (call yourself bad) anyway and that it will only make your performance worse.

Read: The Inner Game of Tennis.

As long as we donā€™t broaden the scope of this rule to include ā€œNOT LIKE THISā€, then I think Iā€™m fine with it.

6 Likes

I have read it :slight_smile:

Sounds like heā€™s had a history of shouting in appropriate things and was even warned earlier in this event so he kind of had a precedent set and seems like they cut him off when insulting himself before he had a chance to take it any further.

Luckily pinball meltdowns havenā€™t reached the level of tennis meltdowns :wink: !

3 Likes

Not so sure. Iā€™ve seen a player (actually, a TD, no less) push a machine after a drain, throwing it up and forward such that the front legs were easily four inches off the ground. Probably the wors5 case of machine abuse Iā€™ve seen. He did not disqualify himselfā€¦

2 Likes

Picked an odd time to enforce that penalty. I understand wanting to set a precedent, but if itā€™s going to ultimately decide the fate of a match (especially a big one) do you still make that call? Earlier in the match were there warnings given?

It said he was warned earlier in the event

He had taken a point penalty only a game earlier for berating a line judge. The chair thought that the ā€œstupid personā€ shout was directed at the judge, so the next level of penalty (instant game loss) was imposed.

It also said he racially abused an opponent previously. Iā€™d rather have someone drop an F bomb in front of a kid, or throw a game around, than go racial. Iā€™ve never heard anything racial in pinball, although it is an awfully white sport.

Suggested new IFPAPA rule:

If you go racial, you are immediately banished to the pro tennis circuit.

3 Likes

Also known as the Coffin Drop

I beg to differ. LOL. I called myself a dumbass while playing in a finals and won a first place trophy.

I hope that Tournament Directors will be more attentive to players acting out. If there is one thing that drives away new tournament players more than anything else, itā€™s when a good player storms off cursing and pouting.

Because I focus a lot on recruiting new players into tournaments, I always notice how terrible it looks when a player throws a tantrum, especially when s/he is far ahead anyway. Poor sportsmanship. Experienced players will just roll their eyes behind the playerā€™s back, but new players simply donā€™t come back next time.

Because I travel a lot for tournaments, I notice that there is significant regional variation in how much misbehavior TDs tolerate. Some areas are quite restrictive of behavior. (The Scandinavians fine players for swearing, I found out.) But other places allow all sorts of bad behavior, and even rage tilting barely gets a warning.

Thatā€™s not to say that I myself donā€™t get angry. It takes work to keep emotions under control, especially after the third house ball in a row. But I always try to remind myself to ā€œBelsitoā€ my reactions. Itā€™s just pinball, after all.

19 Likes

1 Like

Just a note that the IFPA14 yellow card seems to have had a dramatic impact on Eric Stoneā€™s outbursts. Heā€™s still a passionate (and fantastic) player, and still talks/shouts/grunts. But very little foul language anymore. Bravo!

3 Likes