Ruling Question RE: DQ's and Reporting

Interesting situation popped up last night during league. 4-player game, Aerosmith.

P3, ball 3 earns an extra ball. Plunges it away as the rules state. Player 4 is put up, player 3 thinks he earned another extra ball, plunges.

P4, realizes that P3 plunged his ball, says in a joking way that’s a DQ, and continues up to the game to play the ball served up by the ball saver.

P4 continues to play that ball to completion, and passes P2, for 3rd.

P4 walks away thinking that the results would be reported by others, giving P3 a DQ, and placing himself in 2nd.

Thoughts? I was not TD, and I am well aware of the rules - just curious what others think of the situation.

Seems like if P4 wanted compensation/penalization for the mis-plunge, they should have gotten the TD involved right away, instead of joking about it, playing on, then walking away. It isn’t terribly uncommon for players to adopt a no-harm-no-foul stance to that sort of thing happening in a casual event, particularly when the ball can be recovered.

Seems like P4 (and maybe the group as a whole) could have handled it better by communicating with each other and/or bringing in the TD when it happened.

3 Likes

Only TD’s make rulings. The determination of whether a player is DQ’d for something falls as a ruling to be made by the TD, and not any other player competing . . . full stop.

7 Likes

I agree except for what I am interpreting as an implecation they should not have played on part. P4 has every right to take over control of that ball in play to not lose progress in their game state. If they want to play, go ahead play on. If they happen to come to a point where they have the ball trapped and in control, then talk to a TD.

Not sure the implication here, but I’m by no means trying to imply otherwise.

Who’s responsibility is it to get the TD involved? The person who wants a ruling? P4? What if they don’t?

To clarify, I completely agree with you. I was mostly getting at what seemed like a player never communicating the desire for a ruling to be made.

If P4 wanted a ruling they should’ve gotten a TD involved asap.

1 Like

If they don’t get a TD involved, play on.

IMO it’s one of those “anyone/everyone is responsible” . . . typically the motivation in getting a TD involved comes from the player who is getting screwed in the situation.

If nobody asks for a ruling, then there’s no ruling, and it’s “PLAY ON”. If there’s a player in that group that doesn’t think “PLAY ON” is an acceptable solution, then I’m guessing that player might be motivated to ask for a ruling.

2 Likes

This actually made me think of all the times where I was asked for a ruling after a game was completed.

This is how that conversation usually goes:

Player: “So we just finished the game, but during it . . .”

Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mykWHPrOWaI

6 Likes

Absolutely. And P4 takes the risk of once they start flipping at their ball plunged by P3, they now get no compensation ball for P3’s mistake. But P4 quickly stepping up and playing does not nullify P4’s ability to get a ruling for P3’s interference, even after P4’s ball has drained. While P4’s ball 3 drain represents the end of the game, because it was the most recent ball, I’d say that asking for a ruling (of P3’s DQ for the game – not any compensation for P4) is still appropriate.

If P4 “walks away” from the completed game and he/she, nor anyone else in the group asks for a ruling, then see the @pinwizj’s video above.

3 Likes