Ruling: Player-Selectable Whole-Game Modes

Just about all games from 90’s up have that

6 posts were split to a new topic: Using Home/Tournament ROMs in Competition

Enabling competition mode by holding in the left flipper button on Sterns is the only way we do it in our league. So much so that we often joke when we walk up to a game like Aztec or Wizard, “Make sure you put it in competition mode”. :smile:

4 Likes

Curious, for those who lean towards only allowing “normal” games and would forbid things like spanish settings and JD supergame, what is your opinion on someone starting Secret Mania during their ball on HS3 and likely messing up the game state for all players? I can’t imagine forbidding players from starting it since it’s a legit rule, but it can affect other players’ games pretty badly…

This is a far one, but on Indiana Jones, if player 1 holds both flipper buttons as they press start, that activates the Frog bonus in Mine Cart. If a player crashes on the 4th right barrier, they get a bonus. Would something like this be a allowed? Not really a big deal, but it does something.

Isn’t everything “allowed” unless there’s a clear rule written about it and a listed consequence?

1 Like

The implications of the ability for a player to select Escape Nublar in best game qualifying is interesting because you are practically guaranteed a very good score but you give up the ability to have a great score because the game ends after completing the mode. It’s worth considering the possibility of allowing players to choose in this scenario

Look. To me it is very simple. Players are not allowed to make changes to the games. Period. That goes for jacking up the front legs. That goes for flipper codes. Whether it is the super secret ones or the more common hold-and-press-start. Hands off.

And the IFPAPA might as well put this in the verbal under player conduct. Stuff is forbidden unless otherwise determined by the tournament.

This imples, that for the (rare) special cases, like Pool Sharks, the players have to require an instruction on what to do.

2 Likes

Definitely don’t use this in a big time tournament if you can help it.

Not sure if Soren has updated code for that, but I would make sure the game has Soren code before using it.

This has happened maybe twice at Pinburgh. The ruling is that the game was not started properly, and is a full restart.

The Pool Sharks situation is interesting – I think P1 should get the choice. A player could choose to be P1 to get that ability if it is important enough.

4 Likes

It is removed from the L-5 patch. As safety. Reports are a bit vague on whether it is still a problem in L-5. Not to mention solid facts on what is going on. Ideally it should be fixed, not removed. Some day.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Using Home/Tournament ROMs in Competition

What does playing Secret Mania do to the other players?

Others can chime in but my understanding is the game gets confused and completely breaks the game. Not sure if it’s guaranteed to happen when you get there, but seems common enough that lots of matches have been affected by it.

Pretty much this - playing Secret Mania is akin to signing a dark pact with Azathoth. You’ll get points in the moment, but subject your game to the potential for catastrophic level chaos in the long run.

5 Likes

More like forcing all players to sign that pact, since whatever happens tends to affect all games in progress.

If I’m on ball 3 and have an upcoming opponent who is close behind and only a couple shots from RLM or multiball, I’d be tempted to start SM in the hopes it crashes their setup (assuming I got the three police cars). Dirty pool, but that is why we need rules for this stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

In tournament mode the game always gives three cars!

All we really need is to change the tournament mode to always have two cars… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All depends on you take of what the tourney setting should be doing. Removing stuff or making it suitable. Like mystery awards. Is it points only or a deterministic fashion.

See

We discussed this last night and decided that we would not be allowing groups to choose the Escape Nublar mode. The most notable reason is that we allow pre-plays, so the scoring wouldn’t be consistent between players if someone had pre-played.

1 Like