Pumpkin carving and Pinball art

I love carving pumpkins. I love the work of talented dot artists that bring life to such a small grid. This year I decided to try something new.

Any else carve some Pinball inspired pumpkins?

21 Likes

Got a little more ambitious today and did a full resolution amp to go with it. Really happy with it.

26 Likes

This is freaking incredible. How did you go about doing it? What tools did you use?

1 Like

Ok, this is much more rudimentary than OP’s pumpkin, but here’s what I did last year. My mom liked it at least.

…

13 Likes

@jurfjurf I wish I could like this more than once :wink:

1 Like

Amazing work, Ian!

Tools, I used a Foredom rotary tool. It is pedal operated tool like a dremel.

After saving the image from Pinball browser, I scaled the image up but a factor of 3, then deleted odd rows and columns. This left an image with the pixels of the image with 1 pixel spaces between them.

For drac, I manually positioned 3x3 sqaures over the image to choose how to scale it. I thought it would not have enough strength or brightness with small holes. After Drac, I realised it could be pushed a lot further. For the amp it was just left as is.

Once printed, I used a push pin to make a hole to mark the center of every hole, then I started drilling.

The amp took about 2.5 hours of drilling. I have no idea why I enjoy creating pumpkins for one day, but the fact that it is disposable is part of the appeal.

3 Likes

That’s amazingly intensive. I want to give it a go next year. I carved zero pumpkins this year! :frowning:

here’s my attempt at Rudy. turned out pretty well, i think, except the slits i cut for his mouth dried out and shriveled after a day, and as a result widened to look like dracula fangs. oh well!

8 Likes

“Real” Thanksgiving is here, which means Halloween is just around the corner. I am trying to.decide what to tackle in terms of pumpkin art. I want to try something with the detail of the amp, but a more recognisable price of art.

Got any favourite DMD clips that you think would make cool pumpkins?

Pinball smashing the martians face in AFM?

A Crazy Flipper Fingers pumpkin, carved in 2008!

4 Likes

I looked at it, but felt it didn’t read well as a still image. Went with this instead.

10 Likes

That’s nuts. Well done.

Thread bump. Anyone got cool plans this year. I started pattern work yesterday…

My wife and I did Ghostbusters themed pumpkins this year. Not as happy with it as the Martian last year, but still ok.

1 Like

Here is the carving portion of the process. Only takes 3 mins :slight_smile:

Sharing this year’s pumpkin.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’m not nearly as talented as ya’ll but here’s mine this year. My daughter did the baseball and softball (she’s 9 and loves playing softball so that was her idea) and I did the barfing jack-o-lantern. Oldie but goodie.

2 Likes