Practice and Between Ball Time and Enforcement

Why force the players to be in an uncomfortable situation? People were “reporting” it indirectly discussing it openly when TDs were around and nothing was down. The stream was blowing up with the discussion and frustration with TDs watching. It was head to head in this situation so there was no anonymity to be had for directly reporting it and the pinball community can be relentless against people that “complain”.

That’s on the TD imo. They can decide whether they think it’s a nothing burger or not. Sounds like it was a nothing burger to them.

So if I’m player one to practice I can shove the game 6” to get the tilt bob swinging and plunge the ball into pops. Now player 2 is on the practice clock with no idea of actual tilt sensitivity. I think the practice system is fine as is.

Finally. After many years of messages and comments, “The One” - TM SlamTilt responds or acknowledges my existence. Roflmao.

In your scenario, player two would have a two minute clock to be at the machine to take their practice because it would be a change of player. So they would have time for the bob to settle and do their practice.

I am fine with not timing the 30 seconds of practice, however this has devolved into people practicing for 2-3 minutes. I forget which match it was but I watched a heads up match on Metallica and the practice time took over 15 minutes from the time they started practice until the first live ball was plunged.

Some would say that does not affect anyone else however it does. That is 10 minutes longer than it should have taken thus the next match is delayed to start by 10 minutes x number of games in that match. So long story short, over a 5-7 game match, it is taking an hour longer than needed for practice and delaying. Multiply that over 5-6 matches and what should have ended at 4pm, goes until 10pm.

Just trying to have an open conversation about the extremes this has gotten.

1 Like

also just even doing an reboot can take 30-60 sec.

And game do have hold start to reset turned off as well.

Also on some games you can to do an hard reboot to unlock any staged / locked balls.

People abuse practice on TZ to get the power ball into the place they want it to be.

The delay of one match doesn’t matter if the winner ends up waiting for another match to finish.

We got more aggressive at putting Jason on the clock ourselves when we started getting nervous about making our flight. We ALWAYS answered the call to player complaints when they were brought up. This included delay, hovering, line of sight issues, games being shoved too close to other games, grunting/outburst issues, etc.

We made our flight. All is well.

Excited to see how other TD’s handle this going forward :slight_smile:

No player may wait for more that 60 seconds from the end of the previous player’s turn to begin their turn.

If a player is absent when it is their turn to play, they will be awarded three minutes to return before the game in question will be recorded as a
zero

But the rules don’t define when the last players trun ends and to have an clock you need to define when an trun stops and ends.

Also added time is allowed for a tilt mechanism to settle but the rules seem to say you need to ask and TD / TO to give an ok for that.

Who is allowed to put an player on the clock? Does that need to be in the rules?

The idea of the have an player controlled clock may work but you do need to update the out turn rules to say something like if an player is giving up their turn (EX punching an clock) then the next player can not be ruled out of turn. (also maybe say the player that left may not should not an comp ball in that case)
Now in most cases that should only happen with odd ball saves / other game errors.

If some players are punching that clock when they know that their trun is not over then cheating rules may apply.

What is absent vs Delaying your trun?

So do I have 1 min or 3 min?

Absent rules are used before a game starts.

Delay rules are used once a game has been started.

If you ask me what constitutes a game being started, I’m not going to answer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

During final rounds or any qualifying format that involves group play, if a player is absent when it is their turn to play

can be better worded to clean that part up or can they wait till ball 1 of their trun and not the start of the game for player 1 ball 1 when then may be player 4

That’s the right call. I suspect Joe has a closet full of t shirts that say, “but what about…?”

4 Likes