Playing pinball tournaments sitting on a bar stool

People can bring their own bar stool to a tournament?

Doesn’t seem like a problem as long as the location is OK with it.

2 Likes

Or if the player has a medical condition that doesn’t allow them to stand for long periods of time or in certain positions.

I can’t think of a reason against it, beyond space constraints or the location not wanting outside furniture. I’ve tried it, and I don’t like sitting while playing unless its that sweet Night Moves. Mileage/Vary

1 Like

I grew up with playing on a bar stool while my friends / fellow players were watching the game standing close by. When I stand at the pinball machine I feel like shooting from the hip. I like to be lower. But standing like Lyman Sheats feels uncomfortable to me but the view point matches.

@SAFBrian Space constraints seems reasonable. The only reason though probably making sense.

@chuckwurt Yeah, who could prove otherwise?

I’m gonna feel like a unicorn when I’m the only one playing seated LOL.

1 Like

I’ve seen people do it on occasion. Figure it’s just a part of play style, just like leaning in close to the glass or performing exaggerated leg kicks / jump moves (my favorite).

1 Like

The only player I’ve seen use a stool does it for medical reasons. I think most players much prefer to stand as you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage for nudging. Sitting down makes it way harder imo.

1 Like

When needed I slide down from the chair to power nudge. In extreme situations I do kick backwards like Josh Sharpe on his IFPA ranking photo and then it can happen that the bar stool tips over. The latter however happens only every 300 games once and usually only on a machine with a very loose tilt. I’ve watched almost all of the tournament videos and none of the machines had such a loose tilt that I’d have to get up.

I like to be with my head above the flippers and unlike others my thumbs don’t touch the glass. My grip is from the front and not from above. On a pin with a generous tilt I get cuts in the palm of my hand from continuous slap saves. These cuts from the handle bar often are pretty deep and sometimes a little blood shows up. Someday Ill try fingerless, thin gloves.

1 Like

If Gloves, Headlamps and/or Headphones are allowed due to player preference, I don’t see why a bar stool wouldn’t/shouldn’t be allowed, assuming the location doesn’t have an issue with outside furniture coming inside. I find that most locations have their own stools anyway.

2 Likes