Pingolf Score Suggestions

Hey there,

Wonder if anyone has Pingolf experience with the following games.

Game of Thrones LE
Godzilla PRE
Rush PRO
Tron Pro
Big Game

Not a super serious group of players, so I don’t need to go for Pinburgh level of difficulty. Don’t want to make it too easy, but don’t want a lot of 10s either.

For example, I’ve found that 65 million on Stranger Things seems to work very well with my typical crowd. 25 million on TWD and MET as well.

I didn’t really realize how much of my collection I’ve swapped out over the last two years until this post lol.

With relative play on the other games I’d say something around:

GoT: 300M (blackwater multiball and a mode)
Godzilla: 120M (good multiball or finished mode)
Rush?
Tron: 25M (both multiballs)
Big Game: 300K

These would be on 3 ball settings.

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback. Pretty close in general to what I think I’m going with. Also no clue on Rush - I know it very well, having had once since the early days - mine has the bad decals lol - but I’m debating 25-50 million.

The only game on that list I regularly use in my Pingolf tournaments is Tron. I set all games to 5 ball no EBs. My Tron par is 13.5m and last month it averaged 3.8 strokes

I also use a GoT pro so it’ll score a little different then a pre/LE but I have the par set at 200m and that averaged 4.7 strokes

Pretty decent mix of skill level players from exceptional to newbies

I have had the most success setting par scores by setting up the game the way it will be for Pingolf. Then I play +5 games on it with a timer set for 3 minutes and record my score when the timer goes off and then average those scores to get my par

It seems most my Pingolf tournaments end up averaging around 4 strokes per hole over 9 holes

Edit: oh I also have TWD par set to 25m with a 3.9 average

That’s a good idea.

I went with 200 million on GOT, and 30 million on Tron. Either way, it’s a learning curve for the next time I host, I guess.

Also decided on 200,000 for Big Game, 80 million on Godzilla, and 40 million on Rush. Low, but mine is a pro with wide open outlines and is a serious case of feast or famine when you play it. I can get a billion, and I can get 10 million in the same playing session.

Having run a ton of IFPA, score based pingolf stuff, including a pingolf based league for a few years before IFPA shut us down, I would recommend using a modified version of the 1-10 percentage based scoring system to bring the over 5 scores up somewhat. This will not impact the overall difficulty of the tournament for IFPA value in any meaningful way (I don’t think it does at all but I have no math to prove it) and it keeps players from scoring the really big numbers which impacts the overall perception of “fun” for a pingolf event, especially for the more casual players.

For a game where the target score is 1,000,000 I would break it down as follows:
999,990 - 750,000 = 6
749,990 - 500,000 = 7
499,990 - 250,000 = 8
249,990 - 100,000 = 9
Under 100,000 = 10

Or put another way, 75%, 50%, 25% 10% for the score break lines instead of 20% across the board.

IMO, nobody should ever really get a 10 unless they house all balls or DQ somehow. Of course, YMMV and you should do what you think your player base will enjoy the most.

1 Like