PINBURGH PINBURGH PINBURGH! HOLY!!!!!1111oneonetwo

I’m not sure where you got 12 from.
There were 54 A restricted players.
Top of B division was 35-25.
19 A restricted players had records of 34-26 or lower and were placed into A.
5 A restricted players had records of 35-25 and were not involved in tiebreaker rules. 2 of these players would have been placed into A by tiebreaker rules if they weren’t A restricted. 3 would have been in B if not restricted.

That would give 22 advancing to A because of their restriction.

If there were no restrictions and A was top 200 simply by record, then all 35-25 records would be in A and the tiebreaker would be on the 34-26 players to fill 5 spots. (195 players had 35-25 or better.) All 5 of the A restricted players with 34-26 records would have lost by tiebreaker rules and would have been placed in B.

This gives 19 players making A by restriction compared to the hypothetical scenario of simply taking top 200 by record and tiebreaker rules.

Define ‘play locally’

@sk8ball has not played any comps outside of the US according to the IFPA website. Does that mean he shouldn’t be ranked in the top 100 because he hasn’t played in Europe, or Australia, or Timbuktu?

Sure. 20 mile radius id assume is local? Still plays against and sees almost everyone even though he doesn’t travel international. I don’t see your point here.

2 Likes

DeFeo is pretty close to a Top 100 local https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=8567

Yes sorry, my memory wasn’t great 19 of 200 spots were lost due to restrictions - so 10% of the A division field got in due to being top 100.

I do not know how many registered players ‘reserved’ spot in A - last year 50 players were restricted to A going in (if I’m counting on my phone correctly)

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=26092

Using this number for this year - 25% of the spots were reserved, meaning you really were only fighting for 150 A division spots (not 200) and of that 19/50 or about 40% only got to A division by exclusions.

Always fun to do the math.

He still has 8 or 10 traveling tournaments - I’d call him a regional player

I consider non local to be anything outside of a day trip… Usually 2 or 3 hours away.

There are clearly exceptions and this is all regional based. See my thoughts below -

1 Like

Thank you @ddp that’s better than I can explain it.

What’s the pin scene like there? Might have to go poach some wpprs.

Tim-Buc-Tu? Pretty big flipper gap on that one!

3 Likes

Ha Ha, nice. I went to IPDB and searched for that, but I spelled it wrong…

The point being where you earn your points, and against who, is entirely down to that player.
The WPPR system is what it is, no need for any other arbitrary restrictions.

1 Like

I didn’t interpret his comment as an additional restriction on top of the ranking system. I read this as “a good ranking system shouldn’t allow you to be top 100 if you only play locally.” I think Josh has said something like this before. For the most part the IFPA ranking system works this way. How many top 100 players have earned their top 20 WPPRs only in local events against only local players?

1 Like

I think it’s definitely practical for someone to make the top 100 by only playing local events. Delaware’s events are capped at 48 players, and we are averaging around 28.5 WPPR’s per event. We currently have 7 main tournaments a year, expanding to 10 next year.

A better example from Pittsburgh would be Walt Lannis. The only tournament he travels for is Clepin, yet he was able to crack the Top 100 (92nd) playing “local only.”

To be fair Pinburgh/Intergalactic, PAPA WC, and PPO are all “local tournaments” (along with twice-weekly Pinburgh game testing, Pittsburgh Pinball League, and so on).

1 Like

It would be possible only in certain places. You’d need to outright win 15 of the largest events in Delaware (and you said there are only 7 of those). Here in Colorado, which is Top 10 as a state in terms of participants, events, and WPPRs, it’s not feasible. The largest monthly is worth about 20 and nothing else comes close. There are maybe five annual events that might top it, but not by much.

1 Like

You need to average 21 points on your scorecard to hit the (current) top 100 threshold of 420 points. Looking at 2018 events, assuming exclusively 1st place, the following areas can definitely get you in:

-Seattle
-Portland
-Los Angeles
-San Francisco
-New York City
-Upstate New York
-The Sanctum (CT)
-Denver
-Chicago
-Baltimore/DC
-Louisville, KY
-Ontario (not counting IFPA15)
-Pittsburgh

I didn’t check everywhere, just the ones I had enough familiarity with to filter out distant cities easily. Most of these are propped up by large events, so Louisville might not qualify in 2019 because it lost the LAX tournament. Also, these are just results from 2018, so areas like Philadelphia, would probably be in once you add in 3 years of Pinfest wins.

Looked at the tournaments listed here: https://www.ifpapinball.com/nacs/2018/standings.php?l=AL#tour for the relevant states, so some multi-state metro areas may qualify but I didn’t check them.

Obviously this is all hypothetical because no one is getting 1sts every tournament.

1 Like

I live here, and while technically it’s possible…for all intents and purposes, it’s impossible. Nothing worth more than 40. There were 3 events worth between 30-38 points, and eight in the 20-29 range. (So only 8 total above the 21 point average that you would need).

You’d have to win literally all of them.

Look at this guy: International Flipper Pinball Association

18th in the world in rating, 10th in Eff % with no events outside of Colorado. He’s ranked 268th in the world and about 60% of the way toward making Top 100.

He’s an incredible player (made A Finals in Pinburgh this year), but despite being one of the top in Eff % in the entire world, he’s not that close. He would need to travel.

Even Raymond & Keith are at about 60% Eff. So even if you were the best in the world, you’d need to live in an area where there were 20+ events with an average value of 35+ WPPRs.

And…you would need to hope that there were no other top players in that area to steal WPPRs. With events in the 20-40 point range, you lose 5-10 points for taking second, and another 5-10 for 3rd.

1 Like

Met Jordan in round 9 of pinburgh. Kicked all our butts that round. It was nice meeting him and getting to play with him.

1 Like

If you consider a 16 hour drive local :slight_smile: Ontario is bigger than most countries and larger than all states except Alaska.

But seriously, Pittsburgh is 200 km closer me than Ottawa.

4 Likes

I thought y’all had an extensive high speed bullet train network in your northern oasis