Pinburgh 2015 Games

It’s a game DQ, not a tournament DQ. :slight_smile:

I strongly recommend the term, from other competitions, ‘game loss’. It’s clear and simple and not to be confused with the GTFO kind of DQ. (“zero” also works, I suppose.)

Thanks! The zero language is actually what we use, though it could stand a fill read through to make sure it’s consistent.

Five rounds in and this player has seen zero issues from the rubber feet. Including one very violent tilt where the game stayed nicely in the rubber feet.

So much better than the alternative. I gently pushed one of the non-tournament games and the slid extremely easily across the floor.

2 Likes

There was one in my group, but it was on one of the games on the tiny gray ones. Those have no lip like the black rubber and colored polyurethane ones. Now I can see why they needed this rule. In my opinion, this would never happen if only the lipped ones were used.

1 Like

Day one went amazing smooth from my perspective as a player (except for my play, with was cluncky and full of failures :slight_smile: ). Thanks to everyone involved that made this happen.

On the subject of language used, one person in my second group was confused about players choose order in "descending order " of seed. They thought 1,2,3… Is ascending (which it is in number space). It was not a big deal, and I can’t think of better language to use.

Good luck to everyone on day 2.

1 Like

I think we’ll use “the order on this sheet” next time, but it seems like no matter what we do, it’s confusing. What about pre-populating the first game’s order of play?

1 Like

I think you can prepopulate more parts of the score sheet. I remember having some ideas but I was playing pinball and didn’t write them down. Now I have no score sheet to look at to jog my memory :frowning:

As a middle of C player, prepopulating order if play for the first game would be easier. Don’t know if more competitive players would be upset about not being given the choice. Again, it was not a big deal.

Other suggestions which can be considered or ignored. Again, I had a great time and don’t want to come across critical at all, but I am assuming feedback is helpful.

• pens. You had a lot at the desk, and I tried to keep one in my pocket, but kept walking away after each round and several times none of us had one. Putting a few “pen stations” around, maybe a small basket with the paging stations would help.

• please work with festival organisers to prevent placing games with loud attract mode next to the TV bank. That DDR-like machine got really annoying yesterday

Wish list if things probably not possible.

• a locker
  • free WiFi with good reception. Doesn’t even need full internet, maybe just host a replica of the page locally.
  • lighting. I really like it during the day, but struggled at night. I need to practice in the dark I guess.
  • play better (personal goal).

I think I had more feedback, but my flight is boarding now. I will think about other feedback and enter it later (assume feedback is welcome)

1 Like

My biggest confusion about the language of round one selection was that when done properly, it was the opposite of the other 3 rounds, which seemed like a mistake to me. I asked @bkerins about it Friday morning while we were waiting for a late player and he explained that it was on purpose and was supposed to be a balancing thing, which makes perfect sense. It was just my lack of experience that had me wondering why they weren’t all done the same.

1 Like

When referring to seeds and choice, the word that seems to be the most clear is “best.” As in: “The best seed (or best ranked) player gets first choice, followed by the next best seed, etc”

“Higher” and “lower” always get confusing.

And @gammagoat: order shouldn’t be predetermined. There are some pins, depending on game state, that it’s advantageous to go first.

2 Likes